Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I am going to Alaska in 22 and for the second week I would like to fish the Skeena but I’ m 81 years old and the main stem look rather swift for my age group are there any tribe that would be as swift for an older angler like me?
FISHHAWK II

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi , I am going to Alaska in 22 and for the second week I would like to fish the Skeena but I’ m 81 years old and the main stem look rather swift for my age group are there any tribe that would be as swift for an older angler like me?
FISHHAWK II
Not as swift correction

·
Registered
147 Posts
First of all the system may not be open if the returns are low. Ferry island in terrace is a local favourite, parking close by and easy access- wading. Most tribes also are easy access, the bulkley being one. Stop by a local tackle shop and they will steer you in the right direction.
PM me for any info.
Best of luck and enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think depends on what time of year you plan to visit also are you targeting Salmon, steelhead, etc as there maybe closures, etc. There are runs of fish (sockeye, chinook, coho, chum, steelhead) that are prevalent at different times and therefore different sections of the river, during those times June, July, August, Sept, etc. The Skeena below Terrace is mainly accessed via boats (jet boats) not many places where you can walk in. As mentioned Ferry Island in Terrace has good access and you do not need to wade very far in the river as most fish travel pretty close to shore. I would still have a wading staff regardless. Once you get into the Fall most of the fish have already traveled through the lower Skeena. So if going in the Fall you are probably better off going to the tribs like the Bulkley, etc,. That being said I would not recommend the Copper although access via a logging road it is difficult river to wade, etc pretty swift with large rocks, etc.

·
Registered
RubberMaid Pro Staff
318 Posts
Hi:
I live in the Smithers area and would offer to join up and fish with you on your visit. If the timing works out for us both I’d be happy to spend a few days together. I’m younger (62) but can appreciate the need for less challenging wading. There are a number of easily accessed places on several rivers in the region where we can achieve this. I’m not sure if you can manage a pontoon boat, but if that is possible I have a second 8’ pontoon that you are welcome to use. That would allow you to experience some easy all day drifts with no challenging water. There are lots of good guides available in the area that give you jet boat access, but if do-it-yourself is your preference, I’d be happy to show you around!
Steve

·
The Skeena in the fall
549 Posts
I'm 74 and fish the Skeena every year.
As previously mentioned go to Ferry Island in Terrace.
Park right beside the bridge and walk upstream to the point of the Island or park under the power lines and walk out to the river there.
Either spot is good and whatever is coming up the Skeena will be swimming up your side of the river.
I always take a wading staff

·
Registered
RubberMaid Pro Staff
318 Posts
Well if its for steelhead then keep on driving as the system deserves a break.
Hey, I respectfully fish my home waters here based on the advice, findings and research of the scientific community. I carefully watch the Tyhee test fishery and local postings by DFO and the BC Ministry of Environment. I fished one day last year and packed the rods when it was evident the numbers were not where they needed to be. I have stopped fishing certain waters as well as cancelled several trips in the past when it was evident that added pressure was not going to benefit the fish.
I reached out to an elderly gentleman who wishes to explore the wonders of our area. If he wants to fish together and the returns support a fishery, I intend to try and assist him in enjoying his time here.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey, I respectfully fish my home waters here based on the advice, findings and research of the scientific community. I carefully watch the Tyhee test fishery and local postings by DFO and the BC Ministry of Environment. I fished one day last year and packed the rods when it was evident the numbers were not where they needed to be. I have stopped fishing certain waters as well as cancelled several trips in the past when it was evident that added pressure was not going to benefit the fish.
I reached out to an elderly gentleman who wishes to explore the wonders of our area. If he wants to fish together and the returns support a fishery, I intend to try and assist him in enjoying his time here.
No one said you couldn't do that. But as it stands right now, the runs don't support a fishery. And to be naive enough as to assume 2022 will be any better is false advertising. Perhaps in your "reaching out" you could add in some details and knowledge about how in its current state the skeena cannot support a steelhead fishery, which is exactly what the "science, and test fishery has so well indicated" now granted the fellow did not specifically state he wanted to fish for steelhead primarily, it is worth mentioning the state the fishery is in. And Kings and sockeye aren't far down that list. And that is being moderately conservative. The reality is most of the skeenas species are struggling at the moment. So don't get the old knickers in a knot. Sometimes you have to be the bearer of bad news, not one person here except myself has touched on the struggles this region had been facing. Probably because it consists mostly of baby boomers lol you know...the ones who's decisions got us here in the first place...so continue to "respectfully" fish your home waters, based on your willingness to cancel trips and not fish certain waters i would wager you should be the first to tell this gentleman about the "real" state this system is in.... ;)

·
Registered
RubberMaid Pro Staff
318 Posts
We are all painfully aware of the state of the fisheries in the west, particularly the Skeena. Much has been written and discussed on this topic inside these forums, you are far from the only torchbearer concerned in this Region. Do some simple searches and you will find lots of concerned posts here. Have a nice day, not going to get into it with you, so stepping out of this conversation. Mods feel free to kill this one before it begins to slide down the slope.

·
Registered
45 Posts
We are all painfully aware of the state of the fisheries in the west, particularly the Skeena. Much has been written and discussed on this topic inside these forums, you are far from the only torchbearer concerned in this Region. Do some simple searches and you will find lots of concerned posts here. Have a nice day, not going to get into it with you, so stepping out of this conversation. Mods feel free to kill this one before it begins to slide down the slope.
Lol, there was nothing to get into....you went on some ride about how you respectfully fish your home waters and how you intend to help a guy out who wants to fish it. You'd actually be helping the guy by educating him on its current state. Which you did not do. Try reading my comment again and then put the pieces together of what you didn't do and could have done better. Or paint the guy a picture of sunshine and lollipops and sound the siren for the "forum police" lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts