Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I know this has been discussed but I couldn't find the threads.

I have a CND Solstice 6/7 13'4" lined with a SA short head 6/7 floater. Before going out and spending the $$$ on a Windcutter or Midspey w/tips I wanted to fish tips with my current line.

Where should I cut the SA short head 6/7 assuming I'll be fishing Rio 15" type 6 and 8 DC sinking tip? Or even possibly T-14...

I don't have a grain scale so I'd have to guess at what length to cut. Should I be approximating the length to equal the same grain weight as the new sink tip or is it more a matter of cutting off some of the floater tip to get to a thicker/stiffer section.

5 feet? 10 feet? 15 feet? :Eyecrazy:

Thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Preston

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Try 12 feet, I haven't cut a 6/7 but have cut many 7/8 and 8/9 SA SSH

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Preston

What you want for best results is the same number of grains per foot in the belly and the tip for best energy transfer. For floating lines and floating tips, that would be at approximately the same diameter. The light weight of the line you are starting with will not match up well with T14. Some of the RIO tips for that weight line should do much better or polyleaders.

·
Registered
869 Posts
that line will turn tips over well if you just cut the front taper off to just where the belly thickness starts. it may still be too heavy but it is better than going too far. you can just remove about two feet at a time after that till it feels right. i'm pretty sure that just cutting off the front taper will be enough for that rod. just try to avoid the "i cut it twice and it's still too short" syndrome.

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
The Rio 450 grain Skagit Line fits that rod very nicely and you will not have to cut the SA. You can use just about any tip you want on this line (up to about 150 grains) including T-14 which can be difficult to manage with the cut-back 6/7 Short Head. This line will cost you about half what a Windcutter or MidSpey with tips will cost ($75 range) as it comes without all those tips you may never use.

The down side: The belly of these lines is 27 feet. With a typical 15 foot tip that will give you a 47 foot head. Except for the close in work you will have to strip a bit (especially if you cast to the full capability of this rod/line combination-it flies!).

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Preston

1 - 7 of 7 Posts