Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Jet stream users

I have a 10/11 floating Jet stream line, 75' head. I want to cut it near the tip so that I can use sinking tips such as T14. Also I have sinking tips from a Rio Mid spey, 9/10. Can I use these with the Jet stream and where should I cut the line?

Many thanks for any advice

Speystudent

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Speystudent.
What ever you do don't cut your jetstream line.
Man there too expensive and also a wonderefull line to be cutting up.
There are all kinds of lines avaliable to use for tips.
Let me know what rod you have and I will try to recomend a line for you.
Up here in the GL region we use Airflow tip lines and the new Rio and Airflow Skagit lines.They work just great with tips of any designation.
Regards Speyladdie. :smokin:

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I agree with Neil! If you want to throw a midlength line with tips get a 9/10 long delta and cut it back. Put the scissors down and step away from the Jetstream! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas and sorry to shock!! No scissors near the Jetstream!!

The rod I have is a 15' Scott LS2. Should I get the long delta 9/10? and how far back from the front should I cut it. What tips would you recommend?

Many thanks

Speystudent

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Cut the 10/11 between 12-14'. If you are throwing T-14, I would go 14'. Loop both ends and you can always get it back to a full floater when you need it.

I have the 10/11 and the 11/12 and both make as fabulous a tip line as they do a full floater.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I would not listen to Tip. He has obviously fallen in the river a few to many times. :D Cut the LD back 15' and loop for Rio 9 Wt. tips or Airflo equivalent.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Cut The Jetstream

To cut the any line you should use the rule of thumb of cutting the line at a point where the belly weight runs one grain perfoot above the sink tip.
The Carron Jetstream 10/12 to support 9/10 tips and turn over flies correctly should be cut at about 26 ft from the tip.
OBW if you want to use a tapered leader or poly leader cut 7 ft off the front of the line.

I have yet to see on Jetstream cut and retain it’s unique casting qualities.

Just thought you would like to know.
:tsk_tsk:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Sorry Aaron I would have to disgree after casting Duggans line recently. Seems like it should not work but his cut 11/12 on the T&T 1510 cast like butter. Not sure what weight tips were on the line. You should try his out.

-sean

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I've cut up quite a few lines without regret, but I know I just would not have the heart to cut one of those pricey Jetstreams.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Sean

Does the cut line have the same characteristics and performance as the line did before it is cut?
It is not hard to get a cut a line to cast but very hard to get the same performance this was the point I was making.
:confused:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
26'? The Jetstream is not an XLT. I seem to remember getting some flack from some a year or so back when I suggested that I should have taken a foot or two more off my 10/11 as it was not turning over Type VIII tips at distance quite like I wanted. (I had it cut back 12'). As I remember, I was told that 12' was just fine.

The tip Sean refers to was either a Rio 15' Type VIII for 10 or an Airflo 15' Type VII for 9.

I understand people's not wanting to cut a pricey line but hey, it's just a line. You buy them to fish with.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Tip

Are you getting the same performace out to the line as an uncut line?
This was the only point that I was trying to make.
26 feet back from the tip the 10/11 weights in at one grain over a 11wt sink tip of standard make.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Speystudent: How to save money and your Jetstream!

Speystudent said:
Dear Jet stream users

I have a 10/11 floating Jet stream line, 75' head. I want to cut it near the tip so that I can use sinking tips such as T14. Also I have sinking tips from a Rio Mid spey, 9/10. Can I use these with the Jet stream and where should I cut the line?

Many thanks for any advice

Speystudent
Before you slice and dice your Jet Stream :Eyecrazy: , or buy another fly line, try something that is simple and not that expensive, Rio's best kept secret, their Powerflex, Core Sinking Leaders. Have Keine's or who ever your flyshop is buy you the 12' Salmon (24) 7.0 ips leader. Then, have your flyshop install a small loop on the business end of your Jetstream. Or you can become a supporting member of this site for $40 and go to the two videos Dana has re doing our own loops and do your own loop. Try it on an old fly line at first.

I own all five of Rio's Powerflex Core Sinking Leaders, and they work very well with the Jet Stream 9/10 with my Sage TCR 9129, 7141 and Meiser's Beast on Steroids, his Highlander. With Rio's Skagit 450, and my lighter rods, Sage 6126 and 7135, the 7.0 IPS PCSL works better than Rio's 15' tips and my sliced and diced T14 tips.

The other low cost way would be to buy the Rio Skagit line that works for your rod and try your sinking tips from your MS 9/10. Those should work. Later, you can buy a 30' Section of T14 and cut the T14 in various lengths, put the loops described above on both ends and try them with your new Skagit line.

Last but not least, all of my Flouro Carbon Furled Sinking Leaders work well with my Jetstream and a heavy sinking fly. Just pull in the length of the FC Furled Leader before you cast and shoot it out on the cast. Go to the thread on Furled Leaders on this board. I do not cast the Floating Furled Leaders with the Jetstream or my Grand Spey, and both lines handle the sinking FC Furled Leaders very well, when you pull the length of the FC Furled Leader into your rod before you cast it.

Powerflex® Core Sinking Leaders
7 ft (2.1 m) and 12 ft sinking leaders with a high tenacity nylon core coated with a super low modulus tungsten polymer mixture. Leaders have little memory or coiling, great turnover plus shock absorption for fish fighting. Powerflex core sinking leaders come in Trout (12 lb) or Salmon (24 lb) and feature an ultra smooth welded loop making it easy to connect to the fly line. Just add RIO tippet material.
Sink rates: 1.5 ips (3.7 cm/s), 2.6 ips (6.6 cm/s) 3.9 ips (9.9 cm/s), 5.6 ips (14.2 cm/s), 7.0 ips (17.8 cm/s)

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Of course the performance was not the same but I haver never seen a longer line that once cut preformed the same. It felt better than a cut long delta though.

It seemed to work pretty well but I am another guy who does not have the balls to cut one. I will just borrow Duggans :hihi:

-sean

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Hey Gramps

Do you know the grain weights of those 12' leaders?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Grain Weights of the Rio Powerflex 12' Salmon leaders

Moose said:
Do you know the grain weights of those 12' leaders?
Thanks to the handy dandy scale, which I bought from Bob Meiser, I do know the weights:

1.5 ips = 44 grains
2.4 ips = 58 grains
3.9 ips = 68 grains
5.6 ips = 94 grains
7.0 ips = 126 grains

The 1.5 ips is Rio's semi clear Lumilux tips/leader material.

The others look like the 15' tips with a smaller tip.

The three with the lower ips can basically be casted like a furled leader or heavy mono leader. They perform well with the Jet Stream and Grand Spey.

The heavier two with the higher IPS with me require about 12' of the Jet Stream head pulled down in the rod past the tip on my casts. With my Skagit 450 and 550 and my shorter than 14' rods, I prefer them over the standard Rio 15' tips and T14.

I wish that Rio would replace the short mono at the fishing end of these leaders (to make a loop) with a factory installed loop on the business end. When you are bouncing off the bottom, the mono can get a nick, which you are unaware off. If a big fish strikes, the nick causes a break. I lost a good steelhead this year and a huge Striper last week. It was a blessing that the striper broke off as I was standing on a small spit with no place to run up or down stream, and I was using my 7136. :eek:

My first year in Spey rods, I had a huge striper inhale a good size shad on the American river, while using my 7136. Before it broke loose, I could see me losing everything. :Eyecrazy:

That happened again last year in the evening on the American river with my new 6126, and a really big striper swallowed a good size shad as I was bringing the Shad in. The big striper and I had a standoff at about 40-50' until it broke the top part of my tippet. When I realized what had happened, I cranked up the drag on my Orvis LA Battenkill. I didn't want the striper to pull everything out and lose a Spey line, compensator and tip. It broke off after about two minutes. My old damaged shoulder was sore for a week.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
Aaron,

Sorry after responding to you this morning I hit the river and then off to an all day training so just now getting back on. The answer to your question is of course not, any line you cut and loop loses some of the smoth power transition.

The Jetstreams I have though out perform any other line cut for tips that I have ever cast. Granted this is just my opinion but I have cut and looped at least one of about everything out there except the Snowbee. (You can thank Sean for talking me out of it :devil: ) Even looped back as a full floater or with tips, you know you are casting a Jetstream.

To my way of thinking, I spend 6-7 months a year fishing a sinktip. In the months I'm swinging a full floater, the vast majority of my work is with rods in the 6-7-8 range. I'm sure Carron has some wonderful lines for these lighter weight rods but I don't have any of them. I use my 9 and 10 weight rods very little for summer fish so rarely need to cast my Jetstreams as full floaters. In situations where I might want to; Thompson, Clearwater, Skeena, the drop off in performance is slight enough that I can live with it.

If I was fishing a full floater on the big rods the majority of the time or was spending more time casting for castings sake, I would likely not cut one. For the fishing I do though, I think they are a great option when cut.

Duggan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many thanks for all the advice

Many thanks to all the board members who provided advice, this was much appreciated.

Speystudent

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sinktip cut my 10/11 jet stream when I was not looking. I was really mad and was thinking about runing away with his wife to Utah to get even. But once I tried the line I realized he did me a favor. The Tip is right when he says we fish with a tip for 8 months of the year and use 10/11 wt rods so cut it and enjoy it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts