Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know where bob "can of spam" york is these days and how to get hold of him??????

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Talked to him a few days back...it seems that he is more or less just working, working and working.

Everytime I see the guy, he is covered in sawdust and pine needles from his tree service job.

I do know he spent some time on the Rhonde this year...

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thats what I need a tree service job close to a lot of steelhead rivers, versus this corporate world.

I read the Bob York WSC steelhead article, man I don't know if I could take that much steelhead fishing but I would love to try it.

:whoa: :whoa:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
For me Bob York is woven into the fabric of steelheading so completely that he defines an approach we take to one of his favorite rivers, the Thompson. We "York" the river, arising at a foolishly early hour to lay claim to our first light water (we're rarely scooped) and walking out when it's too dark to see (the cause of more than a few twisted ankles and holes in the waders...and last minute hookups). This and a few do-it-yourself Dean trips are the closest a family man can get to the extreme steelheading Bob York perfected in his day.

Never did acquire a taste for Spam, though...

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yeah thats my type of hard core steelhead fishing. But usually there is lots of walking through wooded trails up and down high clay banks and ridges to cut over to different parts of the river. Many of our rivers contnually snake with deep 180 turns etc. I would not leave the river even for lunch, packed that in my vest. Do you ever see Mr. York on the river these days ?

Hal

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
do-it-yourself dean

because I'm a BC resident angler and experienced backcountry camper I can do the dean without going the lodge route, but if I was new it is not something I'd want to do without someone along who has been there before and is experienced with whitewater navigation and backcountry survival. There are all sorts of things to consider about the dean, not the least of which are the bears, and you can't fly firearms in with you so you're pretty much on your own if it comes to hand-to-hand combat with a grizzly that wants your lunch. Non-resident anglers not fishing with a lodge have to enter a lottery for an 8 day permit, then deal with the gear, transportation and other logistical hassles. I believe in the draw priority is given to applicants who have been fishing the river for years, and they are limiting the number of anglers allowed on the river so getting permits these days is really tough. See the bc fishing regs fo rmore info. The only way to access the river is by helicopter, a 1/2 hour flight that's a $2500 or more expense round trip.

Sooooo, because access is difficult and limited, the best bet is to go with a lodge.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dean River Lodge

Dana et. al.
I fished the lower Dean last June out of a Lodge and found it to be quite an experience. My camping days are over, and the bears do have my respect. I did the lodge because my hunting trip to Argentina got cancelled at the last minute due to hoof and mouth disease in the country, and my vacation time was set. The Lower Dean offered summer run and springs. It turned out to be early in the run, but I did catch some fish and had a great time. I would do the lodge thing again, but I'd try to schedule it later in the season.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dana,

Thanks for getting back to me. Fred Evans has me so busy preparing for the RR Spey clinic I hadn't even noticed your response. I am an ex-Montana backcountry elk hunter, Forest service employee skilled in backcountry horse use, even held a Montana guide license at one time. Been down the wild section of the Rogue River in my 12' Avon raft three times. The only thing that scares me about the Dean are the BC fishing regulations.<g> Seriously though, the Dean has interested me for 30 years or more don't know if I will ever make it there but one never knows. I am considering attending the BC clave this year and look forward to meeting you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts