Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there I was, coming down a good run last weekend popping out a few nice casts when suddenly I needed one of my casting courses. Couldn't figure it out, got frustrated and did the quadrupal spey thing to get the line out again. This kept happening until I was about 10 more steps down the run, when suddenly my casting got better. Turns out I had stepped in a hole and forgot to adjust my technique and timing to compensate. In another spot there is a headwind that is not noticeable at water level but 15ft above it is just enough of a problem to fold up your leader 100ft out. A sidearm cast is the solution to keep the line under the wind, but it usually takes me more than a few minutes to realize what's wrong.

What messes up your casting?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
My worst casting is when I think too much about how I am casting. Worse yet when i pay attention to my casting and why it's not working. best just to fish and foreget it. I don't feel the need to figure out every little detail just some sports are hard to cast, fish through them and enjoy the day...

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Dana,

The wind that you don't notice at water level plays havoc with a cast by doing just as you said, folding up you cast. Another place that casting gets screwed up is slow water or a back-flowing slow-water eddy. these just seem to suck you line into the river and make it tough to get a decent distance unless you put more power over a longer arc into the cast. Something I don't always remember to do.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
fly tyer best thing to do there with the back eddy or slow water is to pick up the line fire it straight downstream again and then start the cast...

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Another great technique for slow water that is keeping the line from coming along shore is what I believe is called the spiral single spey, throwing a tight spiral toward shore and pulling that directly into a single spey. Really loads the rod.

As a 'mere mortal' caster, I have a long list of things that mess me up! Probably what messes me up the worst is changing from line style to line style, for instance short to mid to extended belly lines. I find them all interesting to cast and each has distinct advantages (short - tips, mid - ease, long - stripless, etc) but when I go from one line to the other I should make the switch in a bad fishing spot so the initial thrashing doesn't scare off any fish ;)

Dana's point about deep wading gets me everytime, especially with long tapers. The other day I waded out in frustration, took a cast to see what I was doing wrong from ankle deep water and zoooom - out went the 95 foot head and then some.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Juro just about nailed for me too. One additional

thing. Occationally, I'm as twichie as a bug on a hot plate so I'll "go fishing" to "relax." Ha!!

Like a cub bear playing with himself; couldn't make a cast if my life depended upon it with all the 'stuff' running through my mind. Usually it has to do with wanting to 'dismember' some a.. h... whose screwing up at work. Sh.. flowing down hill stuff.

That's when I'll pack up and get a "you're home early" from Joan.
:mad:

·
Registered
267 Posts
TIming

The two worst things that screw me up the most is timing and the wind. I can usually adjust for the wind depending upon direction and speed. However when I get to the river I am usually all pumped up and my timing is a little off. As well if I am having a bad day and things are not going according to plan I tend to speed up which tends to overload the rod and so on........... Soon I need to take a break, sit on the bank and just relax! Then I am usually good for another go at it. It seems that timing and rhythem are so much more important in spey casting than any type of casting with a one hander. When its off your in for a long day on the river!

·
Registered
886 Posts
When a couple or more anglers,or worse the gillie, stand just in view and start a conversation. The more you try the worse the timing gets, the bigger the splashes. I may as well leave the water and go and join in the conversation.

Malcolm

·
Registered
200 Posts
PNW Version

When a bunch of YaHoos in a driftboat come floating down thru the fast water at the head of the pool you're fishing. :hehe:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Roballen and Juro,

Thanks for the reminders about dealing with slow water or slow back-eddies. Even though I know these things, I many times try to get on with it without making the adjustments needed with slow water, which really screws up a cast because as you both said, the rod doesn't load properly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Recently I was fishing a spot where I've always had difficulty casting, and for the first time, noticed why.

This spot necessitates wading knee deep in a very fast riffle casting down to a much slower seam, and the further you cast the better you can cover it. I'm on (in?) the right bank so use a double spey. The problem was the speed of the current was a just little faster than my usual downstream sweep, introducing a few inches of semi slack line into my therefore crummy d-loop. Felt a little strange to do the downstream sweep substantially quicker than muscle memory/habit wanted to, but it fixed my casting (as much as it can be fixed, anyway).

Actually, I'm capable of doing my worst casting just about anyplace, but usually save it for spey schools or practice sessions where, I think, I'm paying too much attention to one or more details and trying too hard...

Poul

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
I do my worst casting when I walk out into the river and start casting to the far bank (we all know thats where the big fish hold). 99 times out of 100 I will over power my rod. If I start with a short cast and work the water close then move out with the longer casts I do much better.

I am doing much better lately slowing down and letting the rod do the work.

Rich

·
Licensed Curmudgeon
41 Posts
After a 7 month trout season using a 7' 3wt cane rod, I grabbed the 13' FlyLogic & hit the river with one of the guys who tested me for FFF Certification.
Thinking about every little thing, & having a stiff wind besides was my undoing. It was not exactly a thing of beauty:(
Since that day, I've managed a handful of chinooks & a lovely 7# chromer on a waking purple muddler.
Just cast! The feel of the river will come, & the line will start behaving.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Worst casting happens in those black holes in a river

Being a newbee in this stuff, I would be doing okay and as I worked upstream or down stream. I would get into an area that I couldn't even make a good a decent roll cast with my 7136. I just called the areas black holes for my poor casting. I really didn't know what caused it, if I went far enough upstream or downstream, I could cast again.

When I bought my 7141 and 10151 this year, it happened less often but it still happened. This September on the Rogue it happened with the 7141 and even with the 10151. If I went on down stream or up stream 35+ feet my casting returned to normal (shameful to some of you and great for me).

I realized that it was the same exact spot that it had happened last year with my 7136.

My wife was with me and was in a chair watching me. She asked what was wrong. I told her that I could not cast in that one spot. She told me to get back in so she could watch.

I went from knee deep water to about waist deep in my black hole, and she could see that down stream there were eddies where I was trying anchor and set the line up for the double spey cast. She walked the bank and noted that in that one area the wind changed from down stream to basically no wind or into my face. It was not a heavy wind but it was right into my face.

So I just stopped casting in that area.

Since I returned to Kali, I have rediscovered a couple of these black holes on the Yuba. They have the same factors, I'm standing in deeper water, the line is getting impacted with eddies and current changes where I'm trying to anchor it down stream on the lift or where I'm trying to form my D Loop. The wind will often change in about a 50' length of the stream and will be in my face. These black holes are more noteable when I'm fishing my 7141 with my floating 6/7 Mid Spey.

So I just move on past these areas now.

The common factors are me standing in deeper water, eddies or current changes down stream in the lift area or where I'm trying to form the D Loop, and if there is wind it changes to in my face.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When casting goes really bad?
Having fished all day without a sign of a fish, suddenly a fish leaps at a place I have fished intensively for some time. The rush of adrenaline can do silly things to my casting:
suddenly the place I fished is beyond reach, the harder I try, the worse it gets.
Usually this is the moment for me to get out of the water, have a short rest and try again, most of the time this helps.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Hans Drost

That happened to me about 20 minutes before it got dark on the Yuba River this past Tuesday evening.

I have been nymphing with an egg fly with one of Bob Meisers]'s two handed rods.

Suddenly about 65' out some large flies started to land on the water to lay eggs. Steelhead and the local trout went ballistic.

I waded back to the shore and tied on a yellow simulator to my rigged 7141 with a floating 6/7 MS line. Then I waded out to cast where I had been casting an hour earlier. Finally after about 10 minutes I got the fly in the lane and missed couple of strikes. The fly was so far out, I couldn't convert the strikes to hooked fish.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Not knowing

When my casting goes down it is usally some small detail I forgot.
It is the not knowing which element that has changed that gets me.
I will get the cast right but for a while you just do not know what is going on.
The best part is that there is no Speypolice to give you a ticket for imporper casting.
:chuckle:
Speybum

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Wind, too Deep, too Distant and Tired

My casting has problems, at times in the wind. If the spiral is up in the wind, to rember to bring it down to get under the wind better. Sometimes in a headwind on the Deschutss, nothing works well.

Wading deep can cause me problems, as well as trying to get out to the spot 90+ feet away that you know holds fish. There are some spots on the Clearwater, the Deschutes, and the Snake, that fit in that category.If I slow down, I can get the casts working again and get a hookup.

When I have been at it too long and get tired the timing gets off and it is time to take a break and slow down. I usually mess up when I am overanxious about distance, am fighting the wind, or rushing the cast without a good anchor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts