Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For God sake I cant find any white or cinnamon turkey... I was able to get some cinnamon but I ended up destroying most of it by washing it! I tried steaming it back to life but it would not cut it... anyways...

Please help me out to find some quality white or cinnamon. Im willing to pay decent cash or trade it for some blue eared pheasant feathers that I have plentiful of.

Another quick question... might sound weird... Will turkey survive if you cut them tail feathers? :D

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well ........

My 'Adopt a dog' name is 'Turkey,' (really) but I think she might object to me clipping of some of her hair. :rolleyes:

fae

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Which state/territory do you live in? Just wondering because quality cinnamon turk-tails are plentiful at the big bass shop. I know some guys get hung-up about shopping at such places, but it's there...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I picked up a cinnamon at angling specialties in Mississauga last week, he had some natural mottled, no white though. Not sure of the quality, I'm a beginner so not sure how these things are graded. Ray at First Cast Guelph might be worth trying. Good luck.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Your almost undoubtedly looking for domestic, but which one? I have a source, but I cleaned her out as it is, I was able to obtain royal palm, sweet grass and other very light breeds that will dye very well. I'm going to say its definitely fishing quality,for about half and the other half was good. Mostly its fishing quality only due to stress marks.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
you can also check the auction site, but that is VERY VERY VERY hit and miss with turkey. sometimes its perfect, sometimes it is just complete garbage

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Here's the last score. I only requested light variations with 2.5-3.0 inch barbs on both sides. This left me with a few feathers without a pairing feather. I always request center tails for the usability on both sides... I sent her an email regarding this thread. If she is ready for it I can pass her info along in pm. I'll be in touch.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
just a thought. Y fish wirh turkey?!? goose is way to go in sk many ways.
I like goose too, I just cannot find any with long enough barbs half the time... I've tried alot I swear! Kevin, do you ever hand married wing collapse issues with goose in it? I don't know why but I do... It almost seems like the diameter.of the barb is smaller and doesn't stand as well as turkey to turkey or turkey to bustard, peacock, go, or Amherst. Maybe its all my head...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
i did a lot at first but its goes away with practise. turkey doesnt do it as mich but i find turkey trickey in it own way. hell just getting a grade turkey hard lol. also goose swims better. aaron n john have very very nice goose. had some do 4/0. (it rare the 4/0) turkey nice on display flies or for DEE wings. if the goose is to short tie wing as built wing with colour as sides? as for maryyig to other fibers it can be harder with corser fibers. but kori nah just look for the soft feathers. kori marries to anything she a bad girl lol

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
i did a lot at first but its goes away with practise. turkey doesnt do it as mich but i find turkey trickey in it own way. hell just getting a grade turkey hard lol. also goose swims better. aaron n john have very very nice goose. had some do 4/0. (it rare the 4/0) turkey nice on display flies or for DEE wings. if the goose is to short tie wing as built wing with colour as sides? as for maryyig to other fibers it can be harder with corser fibers. but kori nah just look for the soft feathers. kori marries to anything she a bad girl lol
Yes that Kori is ridiculous! When I marry goose I find the finer fibers of the tail coverts easier to marry to. The upper major coverts are almost the same density. Smooth easy marry no collapse. Need to find some centers in upper tail coverts...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
just keep strocking it eventually the tips marry. also there a sweet spot on goose i find it near the top end . the tips are usually more even and squared. also it really hard to.take.a slab of goose and end.up with even tips beat to use small strips or re marry the slab to get even tips

·
Registered
481 Posts
Matt,

You've found the problem with sourcing turkey tails....Not only is it hard to find breeders that will save them, at least 50% or more of what you get will be garbage.

I'm sitting on pounds and pounds of junk turkey tails, but nobody wants those. Maybe someday when bird flu kills all of the turkeys, I'll be a rich man (Actually, I tie my own fishing flies with most of the low grade stuff) The fish don't care.

Aaron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts