Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've recently moved to Portland, OR from back East and have been fishing around the area over the past few months between bursts of weather. I've hit the Sandy, Clackamas, E. Fork Lewis, and a few others.

I have to say, where's everybody hiding? Secret bend in the river or what? Google Earth coordinates please. I've counted the number of two handed rods out and it's come to a grand total of 3 in 12-16 outings. Charlie saw more in upstate NY this past weekend, in early March, which is rather amazing considering the harsh conditions.

What's up folks?

BTW - I haven't seen this much bait in the water in my life. Puts the Ontario drift fishermans club to shame.

-Chris

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Wilson,

Welcome the great Pacific Notherwest where most folks want to bonk as many steelhead and salmon as they are allowed. We steelhead fly fishermen are around; but not in near the numbers as the bait, yarn, or plug crowd.

Seriously thought, there are a lot of fly fishermen who dabble in steelhead a few times each year; but most fly fishermen here in the PNW fish for trout in lakes, the Deschutes for trout, or WA's Yakima for trout. Even though there really aren't all that many hard-core, rather fish for steelhead than anything else fly fishers out there, rest assured we are out and about. There are also several forum members in the Portland area (on both sides of the Columbia) and I'm sure a pm to them would result in you getting to know some of them and spending some time fishing with them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
welcome to the land that the sun forgot.

the sandy is the best local bet for seeing another 2 hander fishing. the rest of us are around, spread out, and holding on for dear life lately (did i mention it rains alot around here?).

hate to tell you this, but if you missed chinook season, then you have yet to see bait in the water. before you yell at someone for throwing rocks in the river, make sure those "rocks" aren't red and dripping. run down to tillimook to see the local "shrimp cocktail" which is a gob of eggs the size of your fist with a huge sandshrimp topper. :eek: :Eyecrazy: :whoa: i think they're secretly trying to depth charge the poor fish....

i'll go take my medication now. :roll:

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
apparently we're all too busy flossing... :roll:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
My advice would be...

go do the pilgrimage to the fish the Skagit up and down, then cover the Sauk, run over to the OP and fish the Duc and the upper Hoh, spend a little time in the other more remote rivers which need not be named here, then if it still matters what others are doing well then hit the Umpqua and all the Columbia tribs thru summer; finishing in BC and the Idaho rivers in late fall - failing inspiration from that well I guess you need to go back to the midwest ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
wilson et al.,

SSPey is referring to a (ridiculous) post on another board, that claimed that "tons" of fish are caught by "flossing" fish while swinging flies.

--Bill

·
Registered
344 Posts
More on-point,

I live in the PDX area. Because of the time spent with other duties--such as watching high school basketball games--plus extra work, I just bought a 2006 license last week. I spent a few hours on the Sandy with a couple of friends, all of us fishing 2-handers. Oh, yeah, I had one grab but no hookup.

--Bill

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, well, I was wondering why someone would allude to something like that just because I came from back East. That's a bit low and generalistic especially where I'm just asking where the "local color" is.

Not to post my resume here but I fish Gaspe rivers for Atlantics where floating lines and flies are the norm even in 20-30 feet of water (from a canoe). No weighted flies either...means no Intruders and no coneheads. As for fishing the other rivers in East, you couldn't floss a fish on the Niagara with a spark plug and a kwikfish.

SSpey - Re-read the post and think before you reply with some accusation like that.

Bill, good deal. I've had a grab or two there myself.

Thanks for all the replies.

-Chris

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Chris I do not think Steve was attacking you. Just mentioning/making light of what others (post on another board) think all the flyfishers in Oregon are doing since you asked where they were.

-sean

·
Registered
889 Posts
Steve's post is in referance to several posts on another board where somebody was claiming the virtuousness of the innate egg taking response of a holding steelhead. Especially when used in conjuction with a bobber, egg imitation, and weight. Claiming the fish are 'moving' to these type of presentations in a more 'natural' manner, EATING them, vs. swinging a sunk fly where the fish are 'mostly' or 'many times' being lined/flossed/snagged and involuntarily hooked.

Be happy you aren't seeing too many fly guys out and about.

William

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm absolutely certain SSPey wasn't accusing you of anything, Chris. He was just making a wry comment regarding the posts on the other board. Hence the rolleyes smiley. Steve's not one to attack people. Even when he vehemently disagrees with someone, he is not judgmental, rather he is articulate and logical, like the scientist he is.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I'm not here to defend Steve. He's a dirty SOB :D Instead, I'm posting to tell you that if you are in Oregon, there are no non-resident licenses left for Washington. Sad to say but they sold out. Perhaps instead of following some people's advice in this thread, you should check out the rivers in Massachusetts :saeek:

All kidding aside (and I was kidding about Steve), if you are not seeing other fly guys, don't complain.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
Hi Chris, my post above was not directed at you, I was just being obtuse. I spent 6 years in upstate NY where flossing is high art, and my post was a disjunct reaction to an idiotic thread about flossing on westfly.com. sorry about that.

Here's a better reply. On the Deschutes in the summer you'll see many two handers. In winter most anglers bobber nymph with fly rods, switch to conventional gear, or generally take up other pursuits in the cold, rain swollen months.

On the coast streams 2 handers are especially rare. Some guides use them around Tillamook, and the south coast anglers use them to extend their bobber + nymph capabilities. I enjoy being one of the few using a two-hander on the coast in winter, it gives me a bizarre allegiance with people similarly engaged but whom I've never met.

PS - and as far as Tip, Wm, and Sparsehairbill are concerned, I hear they floss fish with wakers :razz:

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Tip -

We only have corn-eyed brown trout out here :hihi:

Seriously Chris, you know me well enough to know that anything I said was in jest about going back, I hope you really do find the magic in the PNW that I had been fortunate enough to experience during my short 12 year stay.

If not, well it'll always be great to hang out with you back east again on the Catt or the Gaspe' especially if you bring Maxi-Me the wild French Canadian with the woman's foot fetish. ;) ;)

I sincerely do hope your spring improves, and that your summer amazes; surpassed only by your fall.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I now have a new excuse for my extremely high percentage of missed grabs, premature hooksets, and especially yanking the waker away from the fish...

"I could see when the fish was coming up that his mouth was going to be around my leader. Because I am an ethical sportsman, and due to my great experience, I was able to pull the fly away before I accidentally flossed the fish."

--Bill

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No worries, having come from Upstate NY myself I'm a little sensitive to being put in that class of fisherman. Every EC fisherman I know who attends this board does not practice anything close to that.

About the other thread, that's insane. Clearly that person hasn't seen a Bonaventure River Salmon come out of 20 feet of gin clear water to hammer a fly on the swing. Too bad for them, and I'll leave it at that

Some of the other posts do raise an eyebrow with me though. Why would I not want to see another speycaster or fly fisherman on the river? In Gaspe it's an event when someone is "tied on" and other anglers are always welcome to watch for a bit, cheer, and help land the beast (I know I don't like tailing 30 pounders alone). We always stop and say "hey" and see how everyone is doing. On the Catt it's a damn fly swap, especially when Charie and Nick are around, and that's just cool. We're not encroaching or stealing "hot spots", it's just culture and a learning experience to me.

Does that not exist out here? Doesn't seem so.

Juro, Minne-me has a foot fetish? Oh, my.

-Chris

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Chris,

I guess I am just anti-social. I value hooking up with old friends on the river too but I guess too many instances of seeing fly guys lined up in every run on my home rivers has soured me on finding any joy in crowds. Luckily, where and when I choose fish limits the number of interactions with others.

'tip

·
Registered
141 Posts
it's all in what your used to. i personally would be very uncomfortable/unhappy with crowds of fisherman on the river. i like it the way it is here now. i can typically not see another human all day so long as i avoid the "meat holes", or venture down where the drift boats roam. it's all perspective.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.