Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Willie Gunn, my 40th came early (I'm probably one of the few people on the planet who can say he's actually happy about that!) and I now have a beautiful 4-1/4 Perfect. It is a "newer" model, with the words "The Perfect 4 1/4" and "Made by Hardy Bros LTD England" on the front, aluminum reel seat, double pawl system, nylon handle, and the number 29 inside the reel next to the base of the spindle. Three posts support the frame, no line guard.

Willie believes it is a 60s reel, but doesn't know the year of manufacture.

Any ideas about how I would determine the year it was made?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I have a good idea re date of manufacture - just leave it with me for a few months and I'll let you know. :hehe:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Dana said:
Thanks to Willie Gunn, my 40th came early (I'm probably one of the few people on the planet who can say he's actually happy about that!) and I now have a beautiful 4-1/4 Perfect.
Willie believes it is a 60s reel, but doesn't know the year of manufacture.
Dana,
I'm glad you like it but let me make it perfectly clear that money changed hands. I would hate poeple to think that my scottish genoristy was allowed to surface.

Malcolm

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
darn!

and here I was hoping to leave the impression that you were just giving these things away!!!:chuckle:

so my wife wakes up this morning and says "Dana, were you playing with your reel last night? I could hear something that sounded like you and your reels again...":whoa:

So...when was it made?

·
Cast, step, swing...
128 Posts
Dana...

If it has a grey painted finish and the written lines are straight, it was made after the WW11..aluminum foot then closer to the late fifties and early sixties I understand...they started mass production in the late 50'sso its difficault to narrow it down closer than that...they didn't serialize them like the cane rods.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"Dana, were you playing with your reel last night?

Every fiber of my body says: "Don't touch that line!":devil:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, yes and yes

yes to both your questions, uliwon--grey and straight, and it is indeed an aluminum foot.

Do you know if the number 29 has any significance?

and yes to your comment too, Mr Evans!:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Dana,
If you call Jim Adams at Adams Angling he can tell you. His number is 510-849-1324. Or, if you run into Andy Murray, he can tell you too. He's the rep from Hardy and he's doing casting classes with Mark Bachman. He took one look at my 3 3/4" Perfect and told me it was made about 1912.

TL's,
Dave

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Dana, great 'answer.' Totally looking forward ..

to meeting you.
:devil:

Darn! Forgot to ask is Malcom 'included' some small bottles of 'mouth wash?' :hehe:

·
Cast, step, swing...
128 Posts
well judging by the Ebay photo I would say I'm correct...

Andy was able to tell a 1912 perfect because they are significantly different, finish is leaded, handle color white (ivorine), turks head on the tension dial, 1912 check inside if he took the face off...

There is no way of telling exact dating after the 50's really...that anybody has ever shown myself...I have 1/2 dozen perfects including some super rare models...(spitfire, 31/4" wide spool), from 1225 and on...if you buy one, make sure it has the Duplicated check (Dup 11), all the others break...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Please explain

uliwon - please explain the "Duplicated check (Dup 11) all others break." Just in case I should be inclined to buy a used one in the future.
Thanks

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
This isn't directly related to Dana's reel but may help those wondering about older reels. Questioned a guy about a reel he claimed was in the 40's but it displayed characteristics of one from the 50's, so I asked if he was sure it was a 40s model. This was his short but thorough reply.

"up to 39 with finish and round writing, during wartime round writing and
spitfire finish, from 45 to 47 pre war black finish with straight writing and from
47 upwards grey enamel finish with straight writing and short foot - they
produce these reels in the 50ies also, but this production lines starts in 47
depending on my information"

Hope this helps somebody, assuming it's true. If it is true my reel is from the 30s :eyecrazy:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is cool

learning lots about Perfects!

Okay, latest info indicates that my reel was likely made between 1950 and 1957 as Hardy stopped production on the 4-1/4 size with the ribbed alloy foot in 1957.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Uliwon is correct

Dana, Scott is correct with his information regarding the date of your Reel.

If you or anyone else require information on any vintage Hardy Reel, I will try and help out.

Regards,

Randy Law
604-943-9007
hardyguy

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Dana said:
"Dana, were you playing with your (?) last night? I could hear something that sounded like you and your reels again...":whoa:
Got caught crankin it, eh? :tsk_tsk: :hihi:

Did you tell her you couldn't resist cuz it was so Perfect?:chuckle:

I don't have Freds restraint.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Dana,I bought a 4" on ebay in December just like that.Gray.Alum small foot. Unused,it seems.I assumed it was 50's production.I think Scotts info is pretty close to the mark on age.There is good data on this site [from sinktip or sparkey,I think].Beau

·
124 Posts
Early Alloy models

I just recently purchased a 4" Hardy perfect at the fly fishing show in San Rafael, Ca. I bought this from Jim Adams. Jim had this reel listed as an early alloy model with a 1906 check. I have always heard that the these checks were prone to breakage. I tried to hold back, but I couldn't. With that fat Ivorine knob and the reel being in VG condition, bought it. This reel is just awesome and I want to fish with it.

Since the reel has smooth long brass foot, I want to get it replaced. I called Bill Archuleta and was kind of surprised to hear that he hasn't seen many of these reels that the oval spring check was broken. He thought they were really great reels. I also emailed John Mathers in BC and actually sent the reel to him to replace the foot.

My question is how many of you guys have actually had the oval spring check break? After talking with Bill, it didn't sound like it could be repaired. I still plan on fishing with this reel, but would really like to know.

-Doug

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Duggie, does Ms. Traci know how your 'expending community property funds?'

Naaa, didn't think so.:hihi:

Good to see you on the board.
Fred

1 - 20 of 20 Posts