Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So driving to the river a couple of mornings ago brought to mind when do you start fishing in the morning? The legal time in this state to start fishing is 30 minutes before sunrise. You can start fishing well before that. So do you all choose to ignore this law and fish before that or when do you start to fish. I tend to start fishing when I can basically make out the rivers edge and I feel safe wading.

Your thoughts?

JJ

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
My rule has always been when I can see the laces on my boots. Usually will start a little earlier if there is full moonlight.

-sean

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
You start when you can see some color in the east. Of course I'm sure this corresponds 100% with 30 minutes before sunrise. :roll:

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
sinktip said:
You start when you can see some color in the east. Of course I'm sure this corresponds 100% with 30 minutes before sunrise. :roll:
The sun is always rising some place in the world...

·
Registered
121 Posts
When Your Fly Hits The Water

For safety purposes there need be enough light so that you can comfortably see where you are walking and read the water. That doesn't mean so you can see the river bottom, as that may not be possible in the brightest daylight. There was a time when I was preoccupied with getting first water and usually got it. Now I have real appreciation for "a gentlemen's day on the river". Beyond safety, the time to start fishing is when your fly hits the water.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Depends on how much time I have or how busy I am expecting the run to get. Sometimes I'll hold my fly at arms length straight above my head, if I can see it I'll fish it. If I fall over from the nights activities, I'll wait.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
you're also smart enough to lead an angler to fishing locations in total darkness, eliminating any chance that they'll ever relocate it ;) I've got a 17' now and am ready to cover the other side, but I can't find my way back!

·
Registered
323 Posts
When the Sun hits the water

In my area the mountains keep the river without sunlight till around 9:30 to 10:00 am. The sun on the water brings the Steelies to life and more apt to grab a fly. Sleep late, have a lazy breakfast a safe well lit stroll to the river and start chucking the fly as the sun comes over the mountain tops. If its not paradise it pretty close.

Ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts