Spey Pages banner

When To Go & When To Whoa

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Speytarded 
#1 ·
I thought I'd run this by everyone to solicit any and all thoughts. "Whoa" or the stop on the forward cast is pretty much forthright. It's the stop on the back, allowing the "D" or "V" loop to form is where I see some potential problems. Now, the rod is in the key position and ready to deliver the cast. Ah, but when to "Go"! If the casting stroke is a little premature, or the rod inches forward a bit as the "D or V" are formed (CREEP?), I see a miriad of things that can go wrong, poor anchor and such.
I practice every day and fish as much as possible and still encounter this from time to time. How to correct? What to look for?
I've been Spey casting since May of 2004 and am bent on taking the THCI test later on this year. I'd like to have as much input as possible.
Thanks to all,
Stan

The road to fly casting excellance is a never ending journey.

#2 ·
Speytarded said:
I thought I'd run this by everyone to solicit any and all thoughts. "Whoa" or the stop on the forward cast is pretty much forthright. It's the stop on the back, allowing the "D" or "V" loop to form is where I see some potential problems. Now, the rod is in the key position and ready to deliver the cast. Ah, but when to "Go"! If the casting stroke is a little premature, or the rod inches forward a bit as the "D or V" are formed (CREEP?), I see a miriad of things that can go wrong, poor anchor and such.
Not all movement is creep. In my own casting I've found a little controlled drifting backward AS LONG AS TENSION IS MAINTAINED while you wait for loop to set up with long lines can be beneficial, as can raising the casting unit (meaning elbows, hands, rod) vertically WITHOUT changing any of the angles when underhand/skagit casting can help me when I'm looking for extra power/distance. Raising vertically is much easier for me to pull off without mistakes than drifting back, but I've also been getting into shorter lines in the last year.
Oh yeah, for full disclosure, I'm a lousy caster :razz:

#7 ·
Appearantly my post wasn't that clear. When I mentioned "creep", I was talking about a slight movement of the rod FORWARD, not a backward DRIFT.
The term I used was "inching forward a bit". I thought it was a fair question!
Stan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.