Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a squidro tied on a weighted jig hook a fly?
Jock Scott wrote of angling successfully with a bare hook. Is that a fly?
Don't think we will ever settle this one once and for all, but looking forward to some of my fellow Spey Pagers thoughts.

·
Registered
609 Posts
"I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description _____________ , and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it..."

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts

This most recent entry by Matt (Honyuk96) qualifies ;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Is a squidro tied on a weighted jig hook a fly?
Jock Scott wrote of angling successfully with a bare hook. Is that a fly?
Don't think we will ever settle this one once and for all, but looking forward to some of my fellow Spey Pagers thoughts.
Sounds like Jock Scott grew up fishing Tippy Dam.

Apologies, but The question is one that I don't really care much about these days, as long as the guy next to me is fishing ethically, not littering or wrecking the banks, and handling fish with care. I do find myself pondering about how wild steelhead seem to be dissapearing in the U.S.---thats what occupies my thoughts these days.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Apologies, but The question is one that I don't really care much about these days, as long as the guy next to me is fishing ethically, not littering or wrecking the banks, and handling fish with care. I do find myself pondering about how wild steelhead seem to be dissapearing in the U.S.---thats what occupies my thoughts these days.
Ditto……...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
When fly is so heavy that it can pull line behind itself so that the line loop is not the force which delivers the fly to the target anymore.

Esa

·
Registered
159 Posts
When fly is so heavy that it can pull line behind itself so that the line loop is not the force which delivers the fly to the target anymore.

Esa
This. But like already stated if someone is fishing legally according to the regulations on the particular body of water then so be it. I have much bigger concerns that the age old debate on when a fly ceases to be one.

·
Registered
321 Posts
A fly is not a fly

...When it's a gummy minnow.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Sounds like Jock Scott grew up fishing Tippy Dam.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I do find myself gravitating away from fishing as much plastic stuff though, somewhat from an aesthetics perspective (personal), but more from an ethical standpoint. Not that I would look down on someone else's choices, I can respect anybodies methods and tackle as long as they show some respect for the river's ecosystem, the fish, and other anglers (in that order).
JB

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
I have some big weighted tubes and lead eyed depth charges that could be cast with a light spinning outfit, so how about if I toss this one in--
a fly started out in a fly vise right side up? haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts