Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ve been thinking some about when to release your grip of the running line during the forward cast: If you release too early, the line travels too much upwards and results in a very open loop and poor distance. On the other hand, when releasing too late, the line seems to shoot out like a rocket, but will of course smash down on the surface in a bloody heap. I can´t say I have a big problem with the extremes, but I´m curious about what you people have to say about finding the "sweet spot" for releasing the line during the forward stroke. :)

This might seem like elementary stuff but I have a sneaking suspicion that finding that sweet spot is a major explanation to some expert casters ability to consistently cast narrow and far reaching loops. Might be hard to describe in words, though!

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
This question came up during a seminar by Jeff Putnam, one of only a handfull of FFF certified spey casting instructors, at the recent Sacramento spey clave. Jeffs advice was to let go of the running line as soon as you see the formed loop pass over the rod tip on the forward stroke. In other words, you really aren't concentrating on your rod tip during the forward stroke, but rather looking at your target (some high point above the water where you want your line to land). When the forward loop comes into your field of vision as it comes over the rod, let go of the running line.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
here's a clip that shows you the timing:

http://speypages.com/video/danashoot2.mpg

Moose is quite right about the timing, the only problem is watching for that loop to form at the rod tip--it all happens so fast and is sometimes as much as 15+ft away, so sometimes it can be hard to see clearly. If your rod tip has moved in a straight line path, thus forming a tight loop, you simply need to let go a split second after you stop the rod to unload it on the forward stroke. Don't follow through until you get the timing right, just accelerate forward and stop dead so that the rod unloads with the tip at about the 10:30 or 11 o'clock position. Stop the rod, then let go of the running line and away it will go!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! Those little videos are really helpful. Good work, Dana!

the next time I go spey casting I´ll try to wait that split second after the stop. That might give me better consistency in those long and controlled casts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts