Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Agree. Start early. Make it fun.

For us, started in a boat on a lake - drifting nightcrawlers for trout. Both my kids. About kindergarten - started bringing to river with a flyrod. Chuck and duck with a nymph and strike indicator. A couple hours then hot chocolate. Graduating to day floats on rivers and spring creek dry-dropper action to big fish. A couple of add on trips to rivers to when on vacation with family. For my older son, he was 16 when we took our first multiple day float dedicated to fishing. Subsequently taking him to fish for bonefish. Recently back from MT where he now easily outfishes me and is much better with a spey rod than me. Thanks for letting me remember 20 years of fishing with my kids.

Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome to hear your stories. Really appreciate you sharing. Reminded me of my first time fly fishing with my dad and older brother with a guide as a 15 year old. It became a space of solitude for me even from that age. You got me a little emotional thinking about the next 20 years!
It's been an amazing ride. It goes by fast. Enjoy the ride. As someone once told me - "don't sweat the petty things, just don't pet the sweaty things".... whatever that really means - seems like good advice! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts