Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Spey Hack
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market for a new wheatley and I am curious which models you think best fit your steelhead/salmon flies. I tied on mostly 1.5 AJs with some 3s thrown in the mix. I also have a few larger size blind eyes. I dont have a huge quantity of flies, 40 clips should be more than enough.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Wheatley boxes...

I have a large number of Wheatley boxes for the collection of over 40 hundred salmon and steelhead flies. All of mine are swing leaf boxes with rows of clips. The boxes come in two sizes, smaller one is code 14, larger is 16. The clips for the big flies come in big 7s, a combination of big 7s and 5s, and 5s. A smaller swing leaf box with big 7s is a 1422, with a mix of 7s and 5s is a 1432, and a box with 5s is a 1442. A large box with 5s is a 1642. Some of the swing leaf models are available with a deeper box (1.5"), so a large deep box with 5s is a 1642/1.5. All of mine are equipped with 5s, holding 80 flies when full. Sound like you might like a smaller clip box with a mix of 7s and 5s, a 1432. I have tried and subsequently given away boxes with foam inserts, foam strips, magnetic bars and long coil springs. The clips work best for my flies, sized from 4/0 down to 6.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the same boxes. I prefer the ones with the swing leaf. 5's are your best bet for the AJ. 1.5 hooks. I only use the 7's for my cutthroat and summer-run flies. N.B. The original RW Wheatley went out of business a few years back and they are owned by British Fly Boxes. You can get information on what might be available on their web site. Cool boxes. I won't part with mine, but do not put a damp hook back into the clips!! (I learned the hard way ... )

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree that the 5s are the clip for size 1.5 or larger. The large 7 is just a little too small in my opinion for that size hook.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Wheatley boxes...

I wasn't thinking about your specified hook brand and sizes. So I dug out my Jackson hooks, looked at the 1.5 again, and I agree with the recommends for a box with the 5s. I have heard that Bear's Den has some boxes still available, and their site includes snaps and specs. Cheers, Buff.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
These are the ones I use the most, but then you can never have enough Wheatley's

This is the #5 clip on both sides

This is my winter box for shanks and 3/0

This one is pretty cool, it has #5 on one side and #7 on the other.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Converted trout fly boxes . . .

Looks like Fish Tech and I have found a similar solution.

I had an old trout fly box--flat foam swing-leaf--that I decided to convert to use for steelhead and salmon flies. I took out the old beat up foam inserts and replaced the ones on the box shell with clip inserts of large 5s and the swing leaf with new flat foam inserts.

This was the result:

I haven't fished out of this box yet, so it hasn't been river tested, but I think it'll work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts