Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to get myself a Wheatley box for my steelhead obsession - its only appropriate right? I am going to get a swing leaf with clips to cover the whole range winter and summer.

What clip size best accomdated that winter size range from 2/0 - 4, also, the summer range, size 6 and on down spey flies etc. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
165 Posts
The size you want is 5's on the box and large 7's on the leaf. Only prob. is on box is just the start.Bit like rods, reels etc. it uust keeps going and going :roll: . Hope this helps.
Ramsay

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Jay -

I like the combination swingleaf that provides a variety of sizes, can't find mine lately so not sure of the model but the shops will know.

If you are interested in getting a steelhead carved on it let me know.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oops. I just re-read your post. The box I described is a winter box (basically 2/0 -4's). I would really suggest two boxes as 1 box with everything is usually never enough of something. For smaller stuff I would suggest a combination of large sevens and small sevens as I find clips smaller than that just a pain in the a$$.

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Soo, number 5's are for larger hooks, large and small 7's are for smaller?

Juro - I'd definately be interested in a steelhead carving. I saw that last one that your posted pics of and that was amazing! Once I spring for the box - I'll get with you. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, jay.

I think Wheatley '1632 swing leaf' will be suitable for you.
It has a 5's clip that has 40 clip and large 7's clip that has 70 clip, and silver anodised.

I think 5's is suitable for over #4 hooks,
large 7's is suitalbe for #4 to #8 hooks,
small 7's is suitable for #8 to #12 hooks,
10's is suitable for #12 to #16 hooks.

I have a 1612 that has a Large 7's and small 7's, it is useful for only one wet fly box that can store general trout wet fly and salmon fly.
I also have a intension to get the 1632 for only salmon fly.

cloudsfor

·
Registered
886 Posts
Personally I've never liked the clips, I was worried about rust. I have stuck foam over all the clips and now they take any size.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Jay...

I'm glad you are home. Thank you!!!

Personally I like the 5s and the large 7s for steelhaed flies. If you think you might like foam you can get a shell with flat foam on the leaf and nothing in the front or back so you can add whichever foam inserts you'd like. They come in flat, ripple, slotted, and Slit Castle. You can also get the inserts with clips in 5s, large 7s and small 7s. The inserts are self stick and they STAY IN. The swing leaf shells come in blue or green. You can also get the regular shells in the colors, green, red, gold, silver, blue, black. These customize your own boxes have become quite popular and they are reasonably priced.

I agree some of Juro's art work would be an extra nice touch!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would agree that the large box 1632 with large 5's and large 7's would handle those flies w/o problems. I have the 1422 small box with large 7's swing leaf and use it for small double salmon flies. size 4 to 8's.

I am looking at the larger box like you to hold more flies in the 1/0 to 2 range and this should fit the bill.

Cheers. Hansen

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 1632 it'll be. I think that will cover the base. I'll do a little comparison shopping, but I think the price is pretty standard across the board.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Hey Jay,

One thing...

See if you can find a 1632/1.5. This box is the same as the standard 1632 but is 1 1/2 inches wide instead of 1 1/8. I have found if you fish bigger flies they fit better in this box. My favorite wheatley with the exception of the 1632 1 1/8 that Juro carved for me. Almost scared to bring that one on the water but it has already brought me some good luck of the fishy variety :smokin:

-sean

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I've spent the morning researching prices on the Wheatley empty shell boxes and inserts. The price differential is amazing, running from 20 to 33 dollars for the large box among 12 vendors, and from 3 to 4 dollars for a ripple foam insert, and from 10 to16 dollars for the large, 7-clip insert. Oh, the winning vendor is a sponsor of this site - wins by a large margin. I'm going to call him and order today.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I also like the 5s and large 7s best. I prefer a non-swing leaf box though. They're thinner, weigh less and are more comfortable to carry.

The Wheatley boxes are beautiful. No other box that I know of shows off your flies as well. That said, I don't use mine too much. I find a plastic Myran or Dewitt type box preferable. The clip boxes do make rust a bit more problematic and also aren't good for most dries as they'll crush hackle or hair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts