Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
for winter steel I have three rods that typically see action. My go to rod is the SCOTT ARC 1287. I also have an old model Anderson 13'3" 7 and for tighter stuff I have a Deer Creek 11' 7. Can't think of any water where these rods would not get me through. I do have a Scott ARC 1509 that rarely comes out

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I like a very capable rod, yet one that I don't have a lot of expense or sentimental attachment with. You need one that matches the reel and lines of your primary stick/s makes things so much more efficient. I typically carry my rods in homebuilt PVC tubes and keep factory socks out of sight. Goes quite a ways towards toning things down to anyone peeking in through windows. Especially in the junk old trucks I drive.

·
Administrator
2,452 Posts
Rod

A Sage 8150 to back up my 8150. One rarely leaves it's tube as it has a few customizations from Meiser I believe, with JC inlays, etc. the other is my primary dry line rod. For winter I'd carry both a Sage 9140iiie and an 8136iiie more than likely. If the Clearwater...maybe a 9150iiie somewhere in the mix of these rods.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A Echo Dec Hogan 13' 7wt. to back up my Echo Dec Hogan 13' 7wt. :)

Why have something different for a backup that you might not be used to casting? I have 2 identical rods so if one breaks (it hasn't yet in 5 years) I have the same rod to use while I send the broken one back to Echo for replacement on the Lifetime Guarantee. Never miss a days fishing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm new to the Spey game (1 year). I fish an Anglers Roost 13' 7/8. The rod comes with an extra tip...just in case. With that said I can see myself upgrading to a nicer stick in the future and keeping the Anglers Roost as my backup. The rod casts nicely and you can't beat the price, I think $125.00 with shipping. It would make a very economical backup stick

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I guess any rod in my collection could be my back up, but the one that most often takes a ride when I go fishing is my 11' 6" Forecast 6/7. In 4 pieces and a tube it's out of the way, but ready for most any steelhead fishing I do.

Sg

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,061 Posts
I have three rods

Beulah 7132 is backed up by a Beulah 8126 and vice versa. Scott 6119 is backed up by the 7132.

I have a trout switch that isn't backed up by anything, except a single hand 590.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Why have something different for a backup that you might not be used to casting? I have 2 identical rods so if one breaks (it hasn't yet in 5 years) I have the same rod to use while I send the broken one back to Echo for replacement on the Lifetime Guarantee. Never miss a days fishing.
Never thought of this but makes complete sense...

I have the same rod, but only one. So my back up rod is a kick in the nuts and a walk to the car.

·
btree
270 Posts
While I have a modern 12'6" 7/8 and an old 9140, I'm spending more and more time fishing my 6/7 switch or my #8 single.

But... I find my back up rod this season, in contrast to all other seasons before, is an old fibreglass rod paired with a mitchell 300 and a small spoon. My poorly fished spoon offers me a sense of final diagnosis as to whether there was a fish holding in the run, or if I just didn't offer a decent presentation on the fly. Then again, that rod often hides behind the seat waiting for it's chance to exercise the power of the dark side of the force ;)

Next season, I'm opting for a wetsuit, snorkle and mask :p

However, before this season, if I took an extra rod and reel, it was my 8wt single. Not a river I've ever fished that couldn't be adequately covered by a single.

Sometimes you just have to believe that the fish are on your side of the river.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Before I reached the point where my spey rods seemed to breed uncontrollably:

In winter, it was my summer rod, whatever that was, and in summer, my winter rod. Seems like the simplest solution.

·
JD
3,609 Posts

My favorite rod being a custom built CND (no current U.S. rep) I have an identical twin held in reserve. :D

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Sound Logic here

Awesome post

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I would ask the reverse question.

One reason not to duplicate is that the rods I listed are not really backup rods but used for individual situations but all can function in a pinch. My
Anderson does well with 625 grains and will more easily throw 15' of T14 while my Scott ARC 1287 likes 575 grains but is my all time favorite rod and generally the one I reach for first. My 11' 7 TFO is awesome on smaller streams or where casting room is marginal with overhanging trees - so all three rods do something a bit better than the others but all can serve as a primary rod and especially when floating I often have all three rods rigged with different tips and different flies

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,408 Posts
This thread has made me think and I think I may need more rods.

Winter - Meiser STM1308 with T&T 1308-4 or 1510-5 as backup

Big River Summer - Meiser 15678HC with T&T 1307-3 or Meiser STM1608 as backup

Big River/Big Fish Fall - Meiser STM1608 or T&T 1510-5

Midsize River Summer - T&T 1307-3 with T&T 1206-6 as backup

Small River Summer - T&T 1206-3 with NO BACKUP :eek:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
So far, I'm taking the same approach as Rick J- rods that can do double duty when necessary. But that's only because I don't have enough rods yet.

Well, I'm sure my wife thinks I do, but she has a horse, so I win.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
My backup outfit is an A.R.E. #4, 13' 7/8, a Cortland Magnum 200D reel, with a chopped-and-channeled 550 grain shorthead that was originally a 10/11/12 Windcutter. The line size makes it suitable for most stream conditions in all seasons. A few scrap sinktips, leaders, and cannon fodder-quality flies, carried in a breadbag along with the reel, completes the package. The low replacement cost of the outfit is a big part of the appeal.

In actual practice, I frequently vary the pairing seasonally. An A.R.E. 12' 5/6 is often a summer backup for my 11' 7" Meiser. I just got a 14' 9/10 Meiser MKS, and my backup for it will be "Mystery Meat," a 14' 4" built on an IM6 blank.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts