Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called loop north america and they told me that they had the reels and all the info for the new hd reels was on the loop north america web site. I went to look and it said coming soon. What is the heaviest loop hd reels? In ounces? I would think Dana has had it for months and could have a review up by now, how does it handle? Especially compared to the danielson and the snowbee?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Calspey,

actually, I just received my new spey-sized LOOPs today. I picked up the trout sized ones (FW) a few weeks ago prior to the Tour De Trout. The FW reels performed flawlessly over 2 weeks of Alberta and Eastern British Columbia trout fishing. The Spey reels will be on their way North to the Skeena system very soon and those experiences along with other tests will form the basis of a review that will be published sometime in the winter here on the speypages.

I'll see about getting the weight of the reels for you. I don't have a postal scale here but I'll see if I can find one.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dana said:
found the weights, as follows:

HD 9/13: 246.5 gr (8.695 ounces)
HD 8/10: 245 gr (8.64 ounces)
LW 7/9 & 6/8: 224.5 gr (7.919 ounces)

Dana, those are preety bad ass for a small spey that doesnt need a heavy reel. LIke winston 2bx speys? That drag and all that capacity for such a light reel? Preety kick ass. For a 10 weight 15 footer I would want something that was heavier to balance it tho. Something like a nautilus? Loop should come out with a UUWA reel that weighs like 11 ounces .

·
Registered
212 Posts
Danielsson reel weights

Checking out the Dainelsson website, they no longer list a LW 6/8 or 7/9. Here are the weights for their HD and LW series:
HD 7/10--250 gr/8.82 oz; 9/13--290/10.23; 11/14--330/11.64
LW 2/5---150 gr/5.29 oz; 4/7---160/5.64; 6/9--175/6.17; 8/12--250/8.82

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
A nice thing about the loops is the LW and HD only have one frame and you can interchange the different spools. So you get one HD cage and can put either the 8/10 or 9/13 spool on them. Same with the LW. Pretty slick and will be nice for those of us who fish saltwater and spey as the HD can accomodate spey lines with the HD and single hand lines for my 9 and 10 weights with the 8/10 spool.

-sean

·
Registered
53 Posts
sean said:
A nice thing about the loops is the LW and HD only have one frame and you can interchange the different spools. So you get one HD cage and can put either the 8/10 or 9/13 spool on them. Same with the LW. Pretty slick and will be nice for those of us who fish saltwater and spey as the HD can accomodate spey lines with the HD and single hand lines for my 9 and 10 weights with the 8/10 spool.

-sean
The Danielssons have some interchangeability, but hadn't heard that the new Loops would be that way too until now. Looks like even the name of the different series on the new Loops, i.e., HD, LW, FW, is the same as the Danielssons. So what exactly is that has changed with the new and purportedly improved Loops other than their place of manufacture? Any word on their pricing?

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
poor loop

fshbm said:
The Danielssons have some interchangeability, but hadn't heard that the new Loops would be that way too until now. Looks like even the name of the different series on the new Loops, i.e., HD, LW, FW, is the same as the Danielssons. So what exactly is that has changed with the new and purportedly improved Loops other than their place of manufacture? Any word on their pricing?

Yup, call them up, they will tell you. Basically it is very similiar to the danielson prices. I think the guy said $440 for the loop hd 9/13?? So you can go to your favorite fly shop and get a loop for the same price as a danielson. Poor loop tho, they will be making half the ammount as danielson will since danielson will be selling direct. Great for the customer tho, given the opportunity I would buy from the shop if you get the same thing for the same cost.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Depends on the cost of manufacture I guess. The cost of manufacture in the Far-East plus the shop's margin plus distribution costs could add up to the cost to manufacture the reel in Sweden. That would then leave the same for Loop as Danielsson.
I like the idea for the spool interchangability - It could definitely save you money. Looking through my tackle box though it might not be the best decision they've made financially as it would lead to them selling less cages, but could lead to more spool sales.... hmm.
I think the idea is great for the trout sized reels, but not sure about the Salmon sized reels. I bought an 11fourteen of the old range as the LW 8twelve I had was nowhere near heavy enough to balance my Loop Grey 15'.
Looking at the weights my 11fourteen weighs 330g, the new 9thirteen weighs 247g so I don't think it would balance. If they'd fitted a downlocking reel seat then it might have had a chance...

G

·
Actually, the correct price for a Loop Evotec HD 9-13 is $425.00US and spools are $150.00US. The weight issue is one that will always be with us. The weight of this reel will be a delight on an 11 or 12 single-handed rod as most of those rods today are quite a bit lighter than even a few years ago. But, as pointed out, it won't be heavy enough to balance the larger double-handed rods. The old trick of wrapping a few turns of lead core line around the arbor might have to be used. My inventory of new Loops was shipped this past Tuesday so I should get them any day now. The one point I know they've emphasized that's different is they've made spool changes easier. Also, as pointed out, the complete interchanging of spools within the one frame. On Danielsson reels, that is only possible between two spools on one of the frames in the FW series. There was no interchange that I can recall in the LW or HD series.

·
Registered
212 Posts
reel weight

The Danielsson will give you enough weight for your big rods---check out weights on my post above. What gives with the new Loop HD lighter weights?

·
Banned
974 Posts
Jr Spey,

Jim, what will the retail price be for the new LOOP LW 8/twelve (I should ask first, will Loop have a similar reel)? Will this reel also have an different/improved spool change system?

Thanks,
David Dornblaser

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
The spool change is easier on the new loops and you get the interchangeable spool. You no longer have that star washer plate you have to line up to get the spool to seat properly.

The only reel that is close to the danielsson 8/12 is the 9/13 HD which is almost as light but with a beefier drag. And you get the option of putting the 8/10 spool on the cage for a lighter spey reel. No 11/14 though which I found dissapointing. I like my big danielssons and would like to see loop do something similiar.

-sean

·
Registered
53 Posts
CalSpey said:
So you can go to your favorite fly shop and get a loop for the same price as a danielson. Poor loop tho, they will be making half the ammount as danielson will since danielson will be selling direct. Great for the customer tho, given the opportunity I would buy from the shop if you get the same thing for the same cost.
It would be nice to see reel prices come down across the board for all makers, but I wonder how much the pricing in this case is directly related to attempting to compete with Danielsson and to hopefully eliminate wholesale sales from the market. My guess would be that it's no coincidence that the price of the new Loop HD is five bucks less than Danielsson HD. Curious as to how long that would last once Danielsson wasn't around. My guess would be not long--as in seconds. But who knows. Personally, I'll be sticking with Danielssons for now. If the new Loops are getting good ink a couple years from now, then it might be a different story.

G

·
David,

Sean has it right. The only new Loop reel that is close to the old 8twelve is the new 9thirteen. It's about an ounce and change heavier than the 8twelve. I haven't seen the new spool change design as yet so I can't comment any further than what Sean has written. Mine should be here Monday or Tuesday and that will allow me to make a serious evaluation of what they've come up with.

For once, I agree with fshbm. I think the pricing has everything to do with slightly undercutting the Danielsson prices. The truth is that the prices on a lot of reels have either not gone up much the last few years or have actually decreased. The prime example is Abel's original Big Game models. They've come down significantly the last few years. Of course, they had to fire all their reps to do it, but at least they were listening to the cry from fishermen to do something. Unfortunately, the only way to bring down the prices any meaningful amount for US and European made reels is to move production to Asia or to try and sell direct as Danielsson is attempting. The former would frustrate a lot of us and the latter doesn't have a real good history of success in the fly fishing market. Maybe the time has come when one or the other (or both) is inevitable, though.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing some "hands-on" reports as the reels work their way to the dealers and then to the consumers.

I was thinking about how few reels are sold for spey use. In the Midwest, I suspect the majority of large reels are sold for salt use. At least, that is the case with my local dealer.

David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts