Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv'e watched Derek Brown's video umpteen times and I DO know what a swich cast is. But in Derek's progression of things, the switch cast evolves into the spey cast which to my understanding is a switch cast with a change of direction. . . done with the same rod. What specifically is a 'switch rod'. What did I miss here?

J

·
0 Posts
Here in the midwest they are sometimes called three-handed rods. It simply means that they can be cast as a single-handed rod or a double-handed rod. Though I've never used one of Bob Meiser's switch rods (I'm going to get a chance next week) I understand that there is some manipulation of the butt section that actually converts the rod from a true single to a double. Other shorter DH rods can be used either way (switched) by simply determining whether you put your second hand on the butt section or not, though usually that butt section is shorter than on a standard DH rod. I think somebody will probably jump in here and say that a true switch rod requires the changeable butt section. I do know this: most guys who have them love them.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Clyde,

The term "Switch Rod" was to the best of my knowledge first used by those that favored the 60s vintage Fenwick 11' glass rods for delivering either up sized floating double tapers or built-up grain weight forward lines... Utilizing deliveries similar to what we now call "Turbo Spey" (single hand spey), and conventional single hand roll cast and double haul overhead presentations.

And indeed, Fenwick did actually have a removable lower grip assembly available on a few of those early rods. To my great pleasure and suprize, A fella brought one of these beauties into my shop last week, and I will have a chance to fish it on the Rogue with him in the very near future !

Hardy too had a series of 10'6" bamboo switcher style rods that predated the Fenwicks. Again, one of these came to my shop late last winter by an angler that had it custom made for him while stationed in post war England. Very fast, with a stationary lower grip. An awesome shooting head rod for underhand spey or two handed overhead presentations...Although a bit heavy for most mortals to cast all day utilizing single hand deliveries !

There surly are other rods out there that over the years were designed with the same intent.

John from Rio calls my 106ers "Hand and Halfers".

I do also like the term "Three Handers" used by Great lakes anglers that Jr. Spey mentioned !

My series of switchers includes rods with single/two handed capabilities from 9'9" to 11'4" in line weights from 5/6 to 12/13...For both fresh and salt water applications...The shorter rods being shooting head specific.

What ever the term used to describe these rods, regardless of who made them...Once used...Their diverse capabilities as effective angling tools quickly become apparent. Plus they are all great fun to use.

Bob Meiser

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
switch rods

when I bought the Scott 11'9"6wt I was unhappy that the butt just did not 'look' like a spey rod---seemed too short. I called the company and spoke with a rep as to whether they ever entertained the idea of making the butt a bit longer. Bottom line: no. Well I wanted my little spey to look more like a spey so, Scott notwithstanding, I sent the rod off and had the butt length increased from the given 3" to 6". I guess from what you all say I transformed my 'hand-and-a-half' factory rod into a two hander! I use it for streamer/trout fishing my last venue being Rock Creek(MT). I could fish it in places where overhead/one-handed technique would have been near impossible. Use an Abel 2 reel and the Rio Midspey 6/7. FUN. Thanks for your input. clydeo

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yep,

Extending the lower grip a bit on that Scott was a good move...Sure can make all the difference.

Maybe a "Hand and 3/4 " ?...... {;^)

The shorter two handed rod does have lots of applications, and it sure seems that you got that one dialed.

Good on ya Clyde !

Bob Meiser

·
Registered
169 Posts
Jeez - you guys....

I should have been more knowledgable of the subject. Here, I bought a cheaper Cabelas 11'3" so-called "Single-hand rod", thinking it was all that was available. Yeah, it has all of the characteristics you describe, shorter handles, etc.. It works GREAT for the smaller Lake Ontario trib fishing, and I have been having a ball with it. It is listed as a "6-wt.", although I am still trying to make up my mind whether a 7 wt. DT line, or an 8 wt. WF works best for it (for my purposes). I fish it both ways, using my screwed-up version of a single spey, overhead casting, or roll casting, etc. as conditions warrant.

Yeah, the cosmetics aren't the greatest, but it is a VERY useful rod, and fun to fish with. Handles fish well, too.

If I'd have known better, I could have looked up Bob Meiser's web site, and gotten a good one, darn it. Oh, well, I can always dress it up by rewinding the guides, but I subscribe to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" school, and I clean it and wash/wax it after each trip (as I do all my rods).

All I can say is it comes very close to a perfect fishing tool for the conditions here on the majority of Lake Ontario tribs.

I guess "Switch Rods", or "3 handers", or "1 3/4 handers" are here to stay - they DO serve a useful purpose for the right type of water, at least based on my experience.

BobK:smokin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts