Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:Eyecrazy: How lite wt. can I go for trout that are 12 to 18 ins? I need a two hander with a max of about 30 yards. I fly-fish with a 3/4# most of the time and prefer the lite action. I own 7 rods and have fished for over fifty years. Old age necessitate a two hander. I was thinking of a 6# 12 1/2 footer but this is just a guess! please help. beeg1

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Light 2 hander...

There are a number of rods in the 'noodle' dh range, from 11'6" to 12'6" length range, and although I would hesitate to suggest a particular make/manufacturer, perhaps it would depend a little on the $$$ available.

Perhaps you may trade one of your other rods?

Mike

·
Registered
210 Posts
Light trout speys

At the very light end of the spey rods/lines there isn't really much consistency the line designation, so it's a little tough to compare among various brands. That said, Gary Anderson of Anderson Custom Rods has a number of very light spey rods that will do what you're trying to do. He has at least two 3 wts., a 4wt and at least three 5 wts. The 3 and 4 wts are great for what you're planning to do. Keep in mind that his "3 wt." will probably take around 250 grains to load, so it's not the same as a single handed 3 wt. The top four sections of one of his 3 wts. are actually the same blank as a single handed 4 wt. Other makers also have a few very light two-handers, but Gary seems to offer the widest choice at that end of the weight spectrum. Excellent casting rods.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Meiser 12.5' 4/5/6 that is an absolute jewel of a rod for one-salt and two-salt fish (4-8lbs) but, in my opinion, would be overkill for 12"-18" trout. I don't know if Bob makes a lighter rod. I do know that Gary Anderson makes some very light trout speys. I would suggest that you call each of them and see what they have to offer. Bob is a sponsor (click on link in upper left of your screen) and you can google up Gary. Both do excellent work.

PS: Looks like Speycaster types faster than I do and beat me to the draw, or post as the case may be. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Which of Gary’s trouters is slightly lighter then Meiser 12’6” wt. 4/5/6?
I guess it would be wt.4 ( how long are his wt. 4 rods).
Bob rod is more of a wt.5 .

Robert

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Beulah Switch Rods

I have the Beulah 4/5 and 5/6 wt rods(all beulah switch rods are 10'6") that I purposely purchased for myself and my lady...this rod has extended her fly fishing life by 10 years(should we make it),she is arthritic in both hands and has had her shoulder replaced so the need for Two Hands was very evident.....she now casts 60-70 feet with ease and even does some of the Spey casts such as the Double spey and Snake Roll and for the Ocean Fishery here on Vancouver Island she is very apt with the combination casts to overhead...the 4/5 is mine...I have been spey casting most of my life and handle this easily....A LOT of fun!!!I use the Snowbee Delicate Presentation Line #6 or the Hardy Mach 1 Trout #7 for my rod and the Snowbee 8wt Two Colour WF Floating for my ladies 5/6...
Have fun
C

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
There is one other option. If the rods discussed above (and I've fished several, all good 'bits 'o kit') take a standard 9 or 10 foot three or four weight and have a rod builder pull off the cork below the reel seat and build you an 'extended butt' section.

I did that (Bob Meiser actually) with a 6wt 11'3" reddington and it's a treat to fish with. Better yet, the rod is a 'true' 6wt from the stand point of line choices (single hander lines).
Fred

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great minds think alike

Fred: I was just thinking of suggesting that. I am still relatively inexperienced compared to the other folks here. Do you find that your rod spey casts better with a heavier line vs. the line you use to overhead cast with. I find this to be so with my 10' 8wt Sage (I couldn't tell you the model but it is 10-15 years old) that is use as a dry fly rod. It is very stiff and even with a 9wt. 444SL (longer belly WF) I find that I have to add a haul to my cast to get the rod to load when spey casting. My bamboo single-handed rods seem to be more forgiving and I can use the same line to overhead and spey cast.

Silver 61: I would agree that Bob's rod is a 5 for a double hander but is probably equivalent to a 7 in a single handeded rod. I am sorry. I have only cast a couple of Gary's heavier rods and so can't comment on his lighter rods vs. Bob's.

Beeg1: Bob makes a 10'6" 3/4 and a 12'6" 3/4/5. These may be more of what you are looking for, or one of Gary’s light rods.

Mark

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
re-invent

re-inventing the wheel is something we fly casters do...however,I have cast and been using Switch rods for about 9 years and have to say that the Meiser & Beulah rods are the real deal. I did re-build my Sage 6113 2 pc rod into a switch but it wasn't correct...I have cast many rods lately includeing the new Sage 11'5 wt. ,Loomis's rendition,Hardy's attempt,but none,IMO, are the real deal like the 10'6" rods... Mr. Meiser is a very smart design man...
However your casting and fishing style really determines your needs...look around and test the waters
C

·
Registered
212 Posts
Meiser 106/150-250 gr window switch rod

The last rod I purchased was to be my 'light trout rod'--- and I purchased the Meiser 10'6" switch rod(5.25 oz) with 175-250 grain window; put on the Nautilus 7+ reel which weighs 5 0z and it balances the rod 2" down from the top cork. As a floater, the rod loaded best with the AF 40+ WF9F(32.5'/370gr) and for Skagit, WC 9/10/(11)head(22.5'/320gr) with the WC 6/7/(8) tips cut in half
(7.5'/50gr) giving a Skagit line of 30'/370gr. I don't overhead cast so don't have any figures. I will say I speyed-around with the AF 40+ WF6F(32.5'/250gr) on this rod and felt it needed more weight--it might work fine for overhead casting, however. Wonderful small trout rod for nymphing, 'streamering', or anything else you might think to do with this little beauty.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the same rod as Fred- a Redington 11'3" 6 wt. I did the conversion myself. Nice little rod that does nymph/dry/streamer work well- with standard 6/7 wt AFTM lines( I like it with a DT 6 wt for spey casting).

Will

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Mark, given the rod started out as a single hander design I find that a WF 6 wt works just fine (RIO's 'Rio Grande' line makes for a cracker jack combo). Only time I'll 'over line' by one is where I'm casting two heavy flies in combo. There a bit more 'grain weight' does help.

Fred

1 - 14 of 14 Posts