Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents-

I looked high and low in the archives, but couldn't find...what size running line do you all like? I'm talking about the traditional PVC coated stuff.

I just bought some .042 and can still take it back if that's too big. I was planning on building some heads out of the 13wt and 11wt lines I have laying around.

Speaking of which, without a grain scale, what's the best way to size heads? I'm thinking of taking both lines to my fav practice pool and just find that sweet spot and cut a *bit* larger. Make sense?

thanks in advance very much.

BEst-

brooklyn (via pittsburgh) angyler

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a thread?

OK... so I'll take it back...

Resources for head making? Any specific posts you all can remember?

Use the head weight chart as a guide (if rod x works well with line y, then make head to match weight of line y?)

thanks again-

pittsburgh angler

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
I can't remeber it but peter-s-c started the thread.
castingweight something like that?
Sorry

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Amnesia

i'm going to start chopping my hands,er,,heads off and loop them then just use uh,,mm,errr,mmmm:D

·
Rodbuilder
106 Posts
Umpqua makes a line scale that seems to be fairly accurate for about $20. I think it will weigh up to a 13wt line . I've used it for smaller lines.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Hunting budy?

If you have a hunting budy who reloads ammunition, there will be a scale for measuring most lines (not long belly). Lacking that there is a local high school or community college with scales you could use to weigh your lines.

·
Registered
637 Posts
weighing/scales

Do an internet search for grain weight scales and you'll find makers of digital scales. Avoid makers of reloading scales, as those seem to have been hit with the same pricing problem as anything labelled 'fly fishing/fly tying'. There are good digital scales available for less than $50 if you look. Once you get started tinkering, you might as well get a scale. It will pay for itself in the long run.
Carl

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS

Thanks to all for the help. Looks like I need to buy a scale...I can use it in my cane rod shop too, so not a total wash. BEst to all

Joew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts