Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Spey Is The Way
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a beginner question for a guy who's been here for a while. Is it more about the size of head we're casting or the size of fish we're fishing.

My reason for asking. I'm an Atlantic salmon fisherman not a steelheader. I like Airflo Ridge running lines and have always used the 30 pound floating. I have a switch rod that I am using on smaller rivers with a 450 grain Rage head. Was thinking of trying the 20 pound Ridge.

Would that be better with the 450 grain head? Is the 20 pound line big enough for salmon?

Thanks for any comments, Leo.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I always try to use double the size to the leader I'm using. I want the leader to break before anything else. Do the same with Backing.

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
Leo, I would stick with the 30lb running line, especially since you like it :)
In my opinion, anything for salmon, even steelhead for that matter should be around 30lb ... to make it the strongest part of your rigging.
Fly lines are usually rated around 25lb, some higher and some a little lower. Your tippet will be somewhere between 8lb and 20lb. This way if anything goes wrong, it will be the tippet or part of the leader that will break, saving your fly line, etc.

I would only step down to 20lb running line if I was chasing smaller species, like inland trout, bass and walleye.
If your worried about shoot-ability with a lighter head, than maybe contemplate mono type shooting lines and still keep that higher pound test rating.
You mentioned that you were planning this for a smaller salmon river, so not sure how far you need to cast to get your presentation to the salmon ... ??
Just some food for thought my friend :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
40# Stren catfish mono! Recently got turned on to this and absolutely love it, almost no memory, shoots a mile and feels great in hand...Cheap too! I am tired of paying full flyline prices for running lines that don't hold up.

·
Wandering the Driftless
20 Posts
I really like my 40# OPST Lazar line. Its overkill for strength, but way easier to handle than the smaller stuff and seems plenty limp enough during casting.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I really like my 40# OPST Lazar line. Its overkill for strength, but way easier to handle than the smaller stuff and seems plenty limp enough during casting.
Ease of handling counts for a lot and it does not take much of an increase in diameter to hit that sweet spot.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would stick with the Airflo 30lb. I use this for Atlantic’s and have done for years both with heavier lines and a 460gr scandi and switch rod.
I dislike mono line especially if standing on a bank and can easily cover the distances I need using the airflo running line and appreciate the better handling qualities.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts