Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a reel to match that rod. Noticed there are some Abel super series reels around used, for decent price as they are not making that model anymore.

Any idea what size I should be lookin for? Super 10 or super 11?
Another option I am looking at is to get the Abel classic. I'm assuming I would need the spey model? Or is the switch large enough?

I will be using skagit and a skandi shooting heads..and this is the beulah platinum spey if that matters.

Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure where you're coming from with the Super Series not being available any more. They still list them on their website and I haven't heard of anything being announced about them being replaced in their lineup. They did discontinue their Big Game series a few years ago and those can be had at very attractive prices. I use the Kingpin Spey on my 13'2" Beulah Premium 7 weight so I would guess the Abel Spey would be closest to that. The SS are now listed as 9/10N, 10/11N etc. If you decide on one of those I'd pick one with about the same capacity as the Abel Spey. That should be plenty big enough. A lot depends upon where you fish and how much backing you really need. Even the length and diameter of your running line can make a difference.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Abel 3

I have used an Abel #3 Big Game on 13' 7 weight rods with good results. You have to get the model with the small arbor. I believe all the spools of the Big Game series have the small arbor. The newer Super 10 models have either small or large arbors. The newer large arbor reels (not the Spey models) do not have enough volume available to hold backing, running line and spey line. Even the #3 requires gelspun backing for over 100 yards.

You can get excellent buys on eBay for the older Big Game series of reels. I bought an Abel #3 brand new with warranty card for $240 last year. It requires frequent watching (daily), but the results are worthwhile.

Send me your email address and I will send you an Excel file of reel data that lists the sizes of various reel and their available volumes.

Doug

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the replies ill keep my eye out for the big game as well.

As far as Abel discontinuing the super series, perhaps I am wrong. I was under the impression that they have changed the sizes, and have gone to narrow widths ect so the older supers are not being made, at least not in the same way.

For instance, you buy an Abel super 7/8n now instead of a super 8, and they show the spools as discontinued on their site. So more a change that's all.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have a Super 10 on my 7127. I fish a Nextcast WA 45 5/6. It's a little snug, but works. With 150 yards of Hatch backing I think I would be real comfortable.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems after some digging around and help, that the super 11 might be a good fit. Anyone used this reel? Seems some are single pawl instead of double. Any idea what the single pawl sounds like? I'm not a big fan of a whimpy sounding drag ( :

Also looks like the classic spey would fit that rod as well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After some more research from old posts on this site, it seems that people are using reels from super 8 size to super 12 for 7 weights! So, I am confused for sure. And it seems some people use the switch vs the spey for their 7 weights as well in the Abel classic click pawl reels.

I was all set on the click and pawls, but I thought the supers could be a little more versatile should I choose to use it for the salt on a single hand rod. Can't seem to find a super 10 at the same price point right now.

Any Abel experts able to post some thoughts?

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,061 Posts
Classic Spey or Switch

I had both and both worked fine on the 7132. The Spey gives you a bit more capacity.

After some more research from old posts on this site, it seems that people are using reels from super 8 size to super 12 for 7 weights! So, I am confused for sure. And it seems some people use the switch vs the spey for their 7 weights as well in the Abel classic click pawl reels.

I was all set on the click and pawls, but I thought the supers could be a little more versatile should I choose to use it for the salt on a single hand rod. Can't seem to find a super 10 at the same price point right now.

Any Abel experts able to post some thoughts?

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,061 Posts
Switch Vs. Spey

The Spey is .35" larger diameter and both spools are the same width. 50 to 75 yards of backing at most. The Switch is rated for 5-7 wt lines and the Spey for 8-10 wt lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts