Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Futzing in the garage and find a 12' compensator-sink tip combo (6 foot on the compensator), the sink tip that kicks the whole thing out to the 12 feet. Compensator has one wide dark bar and two mediums below.

Anyone have any idea what this may be?

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Rio compensator?

If it's a Rio product, (most likely) The one wide bar=5 & the two shorts=1 each, so 7wt. Whatever the hell that means, Rio marked their sink tips the same way, plus color coding the loop end to signify sink rate.
  1. Yellow= type 3 (3-4ips)
  2. Gray= type 6 (6-7ips)
  3. Green= type 8 (8-9ips)
I think all Rio sink tips are 15ft long, Versi leaders 12ft lengths, Poly leaders 5 & 10 ft lengths. Only way I know to figure out Poly or Versi leaders, is to weigh them & compare length & weight to Rio's web site.

More important is will your line kick over the sink tip & the fly? Rule of thumb is the weight/foot of the sink tip shall not exceed that of the line tip to which it is attached!

At one time, many moons ago, I had some AirFlo poly leaders. Can't be of any help those.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
the 7 wt tips usually round out at 119 grains, Fred, but if it's cut back to 6' it could be less than 80 gr, if the compensator is a 6/7/8 I think it'll go 50-60 gr, if memory serves.

might help you pick a line to huck it. I'd use no less than 400 gr of Skagit head for it.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect!

the 7 wt tips usually round out at 119 grains, Fred, but if it's cut back to 6' it could be less than 80 gr, if the compensator is a 6/7/8 I think it'll go 50-60 gr, if memory serves.

might help you pick a line to huck it. I'd use no less than 400 gr of Skagit head for it.
Have just the rod to load this on, will do so this later this AM and give it a go. Water flows here on the upper Rogue are really low (1070 cfs last I checked), and 'gin clear,' so a heavy tip you don't need. That said, fish will be looking for deeper water/holes to hide.

With the bright sky they're going to be hunkered down by 9 AM. Option is be on the water before daylight. Actually this is the time of year I 'hate' when it comes to fishing. Last of the summer runs have come and gone (exception to this?) and Fall Kings are pretty much history.

The exception may be, with the low water flows, a goodly number of Summer's may be holding down in the 'Wild and Scenic' section below Grants Pass. Will take a good shot of rain to kick up the river to get them to move until the 'spawning bug' really bights them on the butt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts