Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the Midwest and have never fished steelhead other than on Great Lake tribs. That's what my equipment is geared for.

I've just started planning an Alaska trip. Don't even know yet which rivers I might want to fish yet. But I do know that I'm not interested in fishing for kings. I'm more interested in fishing steelhead/rainbow and salmon species other than kings.

Given that info what weight rod would you recommend? Also, what would you recommend for leaders and backing?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
That's a wide open topic there, as Alaska is a big place with lots and lots of different kinds of water. Are you just looking at 2 handed rods, or also single hand rods? I've spent a little time up there, though only in a pretty small part of the state and for the most part I've been limited to fishing easier access locations. With that in mind, I've done more fishing with a 9' 8wt than anything else. But I've also fished a 6wt switch rod a bit, and a 12'6" spey rod a tiny bit. The tricky part there can be having some space; depending on where you're heading that might be a challenge, or might not.

Fwiw, the 8wt single hand rod has always seemed a fairly ideal fit for the most part fishing for silvers and some steelhead. Then again I did break 2 of them in a week this last trip, thankfully they were the same make and I broke different sections so I was able to hobble the spare parts to make a suitable rod for the remainder of the week.
JB

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Then again I did break 2 of them in a week this last trip, thankfully they were the same make and I broke different sections so I was able to hobble the spare parts to make a suitable rod for the remainder of the week.
That's good planning!

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,265 Posts
Hi Gus,

For all species excluding kings on medium waters I have 3 Hardy Swift 11'6" seven weight rods. These use a 37' 475 grain integrated Spey line and handle fish very well. These are the rods I supply to people who come with just standard single hand rods and find that they are not able to get the needed performance out of their tackle. They are easy for beginners and I use one myself exclusively on waters where casting is under 70 feet.

For big water where distance is required I use heavier rods because the lines associated with those rods will carry whatever I choose to tie onto the leaders. Heavier equals 13'9" rods with 825 grain lines with a 55 - 65 foot head.

If you are interested in rainbow fishing I offer tent camps or day trips on some of the best rainbow waters within this part of Alaska, :) Just saying............

Back to the rods, I really am satisfied with an 11'6" to 12 foot rod in the 7 weight range for most of my fishing. For reels I have them fit with an English Caspapedia 8/9 - A Taupo wide spool perfect and a Marquis #III. All of those reels handle salmon or trout for me and those who use them.

Sorry for the business plug but I did pay to advertise here :eek: If ever you want to chat about what I can do for visitors in Central and western Alaska just message through here and I can give you a call. You can find my website in the Sponsors Page here also, it needs the 2014 updates but I'm still fishing. I'll update and add another page dedicated to helping people prepare for fishing here this December.

Ard

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Since you are plugging, which by the way you should since you paid, what on an average would I pay for let's say 5 days fishing and camping with you?

Trying to get future trips planned.:Eyecrazy:

You would be my first choice!:)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ard. No shame in plugging your services if your a paid advertiser. I'm planning a self drive family trip your way the next couple of years and will look you up once we figure out when. :)

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,265 Posts
Since you are plugging, which by the way you should since you paid, what on an average would I pay for let's say 5 days fishing and camping with you?

Trying to get future trips planned.:Eyecrazy:

You would be my first choice!:)
Base price would start at $1750.00 the cost can vary depending on how we would get you to the camp. Fly in is the fastest and costs vary. I can fine tune the flight quotes as a person starts to line up a trip. Many go with the 2 man trip which is actually a bargain. I may tweak the 2 man price to 475.00 per day but that is still inclusive for the camp - boat - flies and guiding work as well as food and beverages. Most people are opting to fly in and then return at trips end with me via 89 mile river boat trip. Because I'm just a one man operation I don't offer 3 or 4 man trips. So the base costs are 1750 for 1 man & two men 5 days for 2375.00 or 1187.50 per man on a 2 man camp for 5 days. :)

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Considering the logistics ...

I didn't find a thing in 'Ard's prices' that even made me raise an eyebrow. Kids, Boonie's in Alaska is not (Cue Dorthy-Toto) "Kansas."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts