Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see people asking for a line recommendation for a given rod all the time. But If we looked at it the other way, what would your ideal rod be for casting a Delta Spey line?

I don't necessarily mean just get a Burkie, Meiser, Sage or Winston etc, but what action, length, weight etc. would you prefer. (Not everyone knows the action of, say a method, accel, dredger or prospector etc.)

·
Carp aficionado
1,219 Posts
If a two hand rod can't cast a delta spey line then it's most likely not a rod worth having. Usually you pick a rod based on the fish you're after and/or the river you're going to fish it on.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
Mostly concur with the above, that length of head is very versatile. Anything from 11' to 16', 6wt to 10wt, there is probably a Delta to match.

Having said that, in my personal opinion, lines of this class (to name two, I'd put the NextCast 55s and Beulah Aeros in the same category) are the most fun to fish on a 13'-14' progressive action, medium-fast recovery rod in the 7wt to 8wt class.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think you missed the question.

What spey rod would you "prefer" or find *ideal* for the line? (action, length, wt.)

I've got rods from 10'6" to 14' and there's no way I would "prefer" a 10'6" to cast a 55' head.

I've got rods that are slow and rods that are fast and I "prefer" my 13'6" Zaxis over my 14' Dec Hogan when casting the Delta Spey's 55' head.

What would you prefer?

Perhaps I should give you the reason for choosing the line first and then the rod that fits the line. I fish the upper Great Lakes. Six months a year the temperature is below freezing (way below)and stripping line is a pain. (Ya, I know it can be done, I've been doing it for 20 years.) But its far more productive if you don't have to strip line. The 55' length of the Delta Spey seems to fit the rivers I'm fishing. So, sure, all my rods will cast the line but as surely as skagit caster picks the rod to fit his skagit style/lines and the scandi caster picks his rod to fit his scandi style/line, so a long line caster does the same. Some custom rod makers sell rods with two tips, a skagit tip and a scandi tip. They wouldn't do that if it didn't matter. And there is a difference in the action that's better for skagit and an action that's better for scandi.

·
Registered
506 Posts
A delta spey (55ft) isnt really a long line its more of a mid belly line IMO.

I cast a delta long (still not a true long line, but i like to consider anything over 70 long) with a fast action 14 foot, which I love. Im able to cast weighted flies and polyleaders with it if need be, and with a slower action/shorter rod that would be a pain. Stiff butt and quick tip recovery.

If I were you with that line (yes, i have the 55ft version too) id choose a 13 ft rod with a softish tip and fairly stiff butt section in a line weight matching your rod weight, or go one up in rod weight if you fish sinking leaders etc. but, youve been doing this 20 years so your judgement is probably better than mine :hihi:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Anglers Roost 14' 5/6 throws a 7/8 Delta beautifully! Its a Euro Scandi action but really the Delta is more of a shortbelly (measure it) Lovely combo!!! Throws some longer and shorter lines wonderfully too.

·
Banned
973 Posts
The OLD delta spey lines had variable length bellys. the 6/7 was about 51' and the 10/11 about 57'. These are all short belly spey lines. They are very good lines and can be used on nearly any two handed rod, even if it's short. If you don't want to shoot 10 pulls of line and don't care if you can't cast much beyond the belly length I'd say get one and use it. I use them exclusively because I hate stripping and line management. The multi-tip versions are my favorites, instead of changing heads I change tips...

Don't know about the Delta 2's, never fished one and won't until I'm forced to.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Somewhere in the depths of my tackle bags is a #9/10 Delta long multi-tip, I used this on a 14 ft CND Expert #9/10 & found it a very easy to use & forgiving combination.

I also have a #10/11 standard Delta & this seems to fly off any rod whatsoever that can throw this rating of line; I bought a cheap Shakespeare Oracle 13 footer when they were selling off the 3 piece versions after the 4 piece was introduced, this was a "leave in the car rod" that I picked up new for £40.00 [approx $65.00] & it will throw the Delta 100 feet + all day.

They are very easy lines to cast.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Administrator
2,456 Posts
13-14' rod...that being said I have Delta multi tips lines for everything from a 13 1/2' 7wt to a 15' 10wt. But I think you'd be well served with a 13-14'er in a 7 or 8 wt. My rods are all Sage iiie or GIII brownies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts