Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on best rod for Skeena system, will be Sept so will be targeting Coho and Steelhead.

I have a dredger glx 14ft is this over gunning things?
Also have a 12'6 death star for the smaller rivers?

Based in UK so any help appreciated.

Jug

·
Registered
217 Posts
skeena rods

From my experience fishing the Skeena, 90% of the fish will be traveling close to shore, as in 70' or less. So no need for long casts. I've fished it with 7wt switch rods and 12'6" 7 & 8 wts.
Most the fish were hooked at less than 50' from the rod tip and only wading mid calf deep. It seems strange as it's a big river but the fish tend to come to you.
Your rods will be just fine.
Have fun!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys, just has a question mark over the 14ft dredger being a bit powerful everyone seams to rate the 13'9 as a better all round rod?

JUG

·
K-Roc
199 Posts
I would use the Dredger as a backup only, unless you prefer it to the death star. It would be really weird to cast a dredger and then switch to the tcx. You couldnt find two rods that are more different than these two! I used to have a 8/9 dredger and when i would switch to my Loop Opti 8124 (similar rod to the death star) my casting stroke was all out of wack! On one hand you have a soft full flexing rod and on the other one the stiffest fastest rods on the market!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Skeena

As everybody already said, you're done.
But I would suggest an 8/9 weight single hander as well.

Have fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts