Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Any thoughts on a reel that is a great fishing tool and also collectable?

My criteria:
1) balances a 14' 9wt
2) great classic look preferred (vom hofe, s-handle, etc.)
3) fishes great (large migratories, relatively maintenance free, decent line pickup, durable, smooth, relatively modern technology)
4) sounds great
5) price no object
5) retains value (or appreciates? collectable)
6) available to purchase within reason (could wait upwards of a year)

Examples would be Cascapedia, Bogdan, Olson, Maurice Noel, Saracione, etc.

Basically THE dream reel. :p

Love to hear your pick(s).

Thanks,
Preston

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
My pick was Danielssson HD 9-13 ( original inventor and manufacturer. Formerly sold by Loop and made by Danielsson AB Sewden ( available in US ).
I believe the current price is around $430 US and it is truly maintenance free, looks and sounds great and I think has the one of the best , if not the best seal drag system in the industry.
Loop has come out recently with the new model made in Asia, which reminds me Danielsson, but it is, in my and some anglers from Europe opinion, inferior to Danielsson.

Martin

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Daniellsons do not have the classic look he is referring to...

I would add a hardy perfect to the list. Over the past 5 years they have went way up in value and seem to keep climbing. For a 4 1/4 it will more than likely cost you 7-800 bucks if not more. They are great reels and keep on going with very little maintenence.

I like the old cascapedia as well.

-sean

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Preston,

Since it seems like you are looking for a classic styled (S-Handle) reel then I won't even bring up any of the mass produced options.

If price is no object then my top picks in no particular order would be:

Saracione
Olson
Bo Mohlin
Maurice Noel

You can't go wrong with any of these and they meet all the criteria you laid out.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
sazan said:
My pick was Danielssson HD 9-13 ( original inventor and manufacturer. Formerly sold by Loop and made by Danielsson AB Sewden ( available in US ).
Martin
Reminds me of a scene in L.A. Story. where the tour guide says "Some of the homes is Los Angeles are up to FIFTY years old!" Classic indeed!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fishable and Collectable reel

If you have a contact in Japan to help you get it, or patience & trust to deal with a fax order & some build time, I'd recommend taking a look at a Kineya 705.
Not being sold in USA and now discontinued, but still available on order, has kept quantities down and might add to collectibility in the future.
It is a nice reel for fishing, and I like the looks of the black plates unmarred by screws.

(Picture of model 704)
http://www.vinsel.com/KINEYA2.JPG

Vinnie in Juneau

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I was eyeballing some reels made by Bo Mohlin of Sweden that were unbeleiveably gorgeous. A google search should turn up the website.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it was my pick and money wasn't a factor than i would pick a BOGDAN or Maurice Noel or Saracione :Eyecrazy: ahh forget it. they are all great reel makers some more famous than others thats all. IMHO

·
Registered
427 Posts
Price is no object?

I have the Saracione for you, if you dare to fish it.

Otherwise, get a Perfect... I've fished a friends Cascapedia, while cool I prefer Perfects. Bogdans are also exceptionally nice and IMO feel better than a Cascapdia.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Classic reels

If price is no object and you want to maintain resale/collector value, the three classic S-handle reels, in my opinion, would be

Bogdan
Saracione
vom Hofe

They all come in multipliers, so take up line fast even with standard arbors.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
A Bogdan #2 Salmon would balance your rod nicely. They have a sweet zinging outgoing click, and will definitely hold value. Wait time??? Make contact with an existing owner - it helped me!

Maurice Noel isn't making any new reels this year - but google his name for a look at the titanium reels (some are sized specifically for spey rods). I hope he is still producing when I can afford one.

Saracione is also now out of the reel making bus - so if you can find one, buy it and fish it.

Bo Mohlin can also be accessed by a google search. His work is stunning, and his salmon models would be well suited for a 14' rod.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
keep 'em coming...

Thanks for all the input so far guys.

Question. A lot of these 'classic' reels are quite heavy. For a modern 14' 9wt weighing in at around 10-11oz...what is the maximum weight reel one should put on?

I like a lot of the models that weigh upwards of 16 oz but that seems a bit too heavy.

Thoughts?

Preston

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Mohlins are pretty nice as well. I had a custom click/pawl model that was light as it did not have all that disc drag stuff in it. Sold it to Sinktip and he seems to really like it. Sweet reel but unfortunately he only made a few of the clicker models. Wish some more of the classic reel guys would make them. Mohlins are nice fishing reels and they are not crazy expensive and the wait time is not bad at all.

-sean

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
A lesser known, but beautiful reel is the range of reels which were made by Dave Mcneese. Old world "S handle" style, with new age technology. I don't know if he is still producing them, but if anybody on the spey pages would know it would be Jack Cook. I used one of his saltwater models down in mexico. Gorgeous, and flawless performance.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I recently bought one of the click and pawl Mohlins that Sean references…Thanks Chris!

I absolutely love it. Just got back from Alaska and gave it a major workout on some very hot Silvers in the surf. My ears are still ringing! What a beautiful reel and it performed flawlessly. I looked a long time for a click and pawl lefty of that ilk. My only wish is that it had a bit more capacity to hold some of the larger spey lines. Shave a bit of backing off however and it will hold just about anything for me except a long belly.

Tight Lines

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
a week before my family and I moved to the East Coast, I was at Aaron's shop playing around with some of Jack Cooks gear and he had a beautiful McNeese (sic) reel with the classic look you are seeking, the drag was a disc if I remember, but it sure was nice!!

Vinnie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.