Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was in Business Week. I can't wait to see it at our next clave!

Leland.

http://www.businessweek.com/premium/content/03_10/c3823096_mz019.htm#B3823097

A Sensor Runs Through It

Fly fishermen can spend years perfecting the rhythmic motion needed to cast a fly far enough yet gently enough to convince a fish that dinner has just landed. Noel C. Perkins, a mechanical engineer at the University of Michigan, turned to science instead: He built a high-tech sensor to debug his casting technique.

Perkins' gizmo is both inexpensive and light and uses the same sort of chip-based motion sensor that triggers car air bags. These microelectromechanical systems, or MEMS, chips cost a few dollars each. And at under 1 ounce, the prototype device doesn't impair movement. Attached to a rod, the MEMS unit tracks casting speed and acceleration. Software running on a linked handheld computer then points out weaknesses by comparing the user's motion with that of an expert fly fisherman.

With his casting much improved and a patent pending, Perkins now hopes to develop a multisensor device capable of analyzing more complex movements. "Golf, tennis, baseball--they all demand finely tuned technique," he says. In the meantime, a consumer version of the casting aid is in the works.
By Adam Aston

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't think I want one on my rod for regular fishing. Maybe if I was into fly casting competion, but I am not.

PM Out

·
Registered
459 Posts
Think I might get one, then instead of just launching into the opposite river banks stream side growth with the spey rod, I can get it high into the over hanging trees on the narrow tree and log jammed lined GL rivers I primarily fish. LOL :chuckle: :chuckle:

Might want to try getting one for the Michigan spey clave for a pilot test with spey technology.

What the heck shoot him an email.

PM Out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Flyfishermen, like golfers are always looking for quick-fix gadgetry. You can't buy a casting stroke. Maybe they should consider learning their craft the way it has been done generation after generation - by spending time on the water and getting to know their equipment.

90% of the fish I catch are within 50 feet so I dont get too wrapped up in the fast-action casting contests :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey, Hal

How are you going to get one when you are having trouble with the "war department" getting a new fly rod? :devil:

BobK

·
Registered
459 Posts
No comment

BTW, I have full freedom to do what ever I want, but I will have to suffer the consequences from you know who.

PM Out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts