Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok fellas, I am in a slump here. As with my previous post about what spey rod to pickup next, I was looking at the Loomis 14' 8/9wt. Now I took at Loop rods in detail, I just cannot find a dealer and get an American or Canadian price. Also, I need to find some specs and details. Anyone know who I can contact?

Right now I am looking at the Blue line series strictly, and the rod being the 12'4" 8/9wt or 13'2" 9/10wt. Now is anyone familer with this rod. I am looking for a real, powerful rod that has a faster action and is suited well for shooting heads and tips. Also, anyone know the weight that these rods are? I have no way of casting this rod what so ever, and Loop Rods are not coming to the clave this spring unless I can ask them.

The debate is between this rod and the G-Loomis 14' 8/9wt. What one is faster, handles tips/heads better, and would be an all around better rod. Length is not a consideration, although the Loop may be more powerful, but I wouldn't know. Is the Loop 9/10 built like a true 10wt or more of a 9wt. I don't want to be overkill for our GL rivers. Also, I need a price on this rod? Anyone know?

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have two Loops so far, a Blue 7116 and a Green 9140 and really like them. The 9140 is fast and seems to have a lot of power, the Blue rod seem to flex farther down and is a bit slower but still no where near as soft as a Sage traditional. The Black is the slowest rod and the Yellow is supposedly similar to the blue.
(The Green rods come with two tips as well)

If you are looking for a fast rod that could handle tips well, I would suggest the Green or the Blue 9140. I can say that the Green 9140 definitely handles 9-10 wt lines but it is not a 10/11 wieght rod. I have not had the pleasure of using either of the 9132's or the GLX. I did try out the Green 10150 but felt that it was too much rod for a "do everything" rod and too much to fish all day unless you needed it.

The finish and construction of the Loops appears to be excellent and doesn't give anything away to many of the more expensive rods that I have looked at, the main difference I see is the 5 year warranty for Loop vs the lifetime warranty for some of the others. I still have most of my cane single handers so am not sure how much the lifetime warranty counts:)

I suggest that you email Dana if you need more info, he can probably comment on the 9132's or for dealer locations.

JimC

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow....

Thanks for the info, I really had my heart set on loops, and who knows maybe it will be just enough for me. Now, I wonder if the 14' 9wt spey has enough tip and is still like a faster european rod.

Anyone know if the GL3 14' 9/10 is faster than the blue series 14' 9/10?

5yr warranty, that is it.....hmmm, that must be a downfall of the rod. Are you sure it is only protected by a 5yr warranty?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, I am sure about the 5 year warranty, that was very clear when I purchased the rods. ( Unless it is different in the US ?)

I would think the Blue 9140 would be fast enough, but that is obviously a personal assessment. They are certainly European style actions, Loop is a Swedish company after all.

I am not sure if a 5 year warranty vs a lifetime warranty is a disadvantage, unless you have a lot of trouble with rods and trunk lids or ceiling fans.:(

If you don't tend to break rods, then it seems to me that paying for a lifetime warranty is like paying for insurance that other folks will collect on. Money that could be better spent on building a better rod or paying less for the same quality rod.

JimC

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah....

Sometimes though here in the Great Lakes, the obstacles are endless and the smaller rivers can take effect on our rods as they are put to the test in tight quaters often and can be broken by brush, trees, and some of our large fish.

Maybe the US is different. I thought they had a service charge on the rods, therfore making it unconditional as long as you pay the fee. At least that is what I found on the American Loop dealer's website.

Yeah, I am looking for a faster action rod, even if it bends to the butt as long as it has a quick tip.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah....

I don't know, if this rod suits me well I can use it for a lifetime. Anyways, I still have to see. I never casted the Loop's, they are hard to find in my neck of the woods. Thanks for the advice, maybe I will order mine from John Valk.

I checked out the many threads by searching both Loop and Loomis, but my question hasn't been anwsered fully yet. I have found people saying that the Blue Line is slower and progrssive, others that are fast and have a quick tip like a "true" euro.

It's all up in the air, but I appreciate the opinions.:hehe:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wish I had the $$$

If I win the lottery, consider it done....until then, I have to settle for a rod under $400. I can get a good deal on a Blue right now, just looking at the options.

J

·
0 Posts
Just to clear up some issues. Yes, the warranty is five years. That is one reason they can keep to price to where it is. Believe me when I say that several of us worked very hard to get Loop to even offer that. They felt that the two years that's offered in Europe should be plenty. The price on the 13'2" Blue Series is $390.00US. The price on the Yellow Series is the same, but they are not even close in action regardless of what you've read in the Hunter's Angling catalog and elsewhere. Also, the Yellow is slower than the Black Series, not the other way around. If you want a "tip" rod you need the Green Series at $485.00US for the same length. The Blue is fast but more progressive than the Green. I have used them all and have watched Henrik Mortensen cast most of them and have setttled on three Blues, one Black, and one Yellow. I'm prepared for anything short of the Alta, and I haven't worried about that river because my invite to fish it never arrived.

Any Loop dealer can get these rods for you. That doesn't mean they'll have them in stock, however. It also seems quite likely now that they won't have demos either, although that could change in another year or two. I was planning on bringing all five of my Loops to the Spring GL conclave, but another commitment has altered those plans. Fellow board member Tony Petrella is the Loop rep for the GL area. See if you can get him to leave sunny Florida in April to be at the clave. :chuckle:

Send me a PM if you'd like more information on Loop rods.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot.....

Thanks alot, I appreciate all the info. I will contact Tony.

I am really set on the Blue, I think that is the way I am going to go.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to Speybum....

I had a chance to talk to Speybum today, wow was I impressed. I learned alot about the Loops and now I am thinking about purchasing two of them from him.

I am looking at the Green 13'2" 9wt if I can find the money, otherwise I am going to get two Blues, the 14' 9wt and the 12'4" 8wt probably.

Peter, looks like we might have the same rod sometime soon!:rolleyes: :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts