Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!--

I'm new to spey casting but a long-time fly fisherman, and I need help picking a line for a rod.

The rod is a 14-foot Fenwick Ironfeather for a 9/10 line, the IFF1409/10-3E, for those who have UK catalogs.

What line would be best for a newbie to the sport? I'll be using it on Olympic Peninsula rivers for steelhead and salmon and in the salt in some applications for salmon or whatever is biting. I'd like to get one with a tip system, but I'd also look really hard at the Fred Evans (see, Commander, I said I'd ask!) sinking leader set-up off a full floating line. I really don't have the opportunity to check a bunch of different lines without traveling further than I'd want.

Given the constraints-- new, dumber than a stump, fishing rivers mainly for the Holy Grail-- what should I get? And did I mention old? I'm not young any more, but I'm still calling myself "middle-aged", despite what AARP says. I don't want to throw a line that makes me work hard to get it to work... if that's an option.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Try Line

Howdy Keith, I have a Delta Spey 9/10 "demo" line you are welcome to try on your rod. No obligation except to send it back to me after you've given it a try. If you are interested send me a PM with your address and it will be on the way. Take care, MJC

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Any spey line that has a belly length of 55 to 65 feet with interchangeable tips would work very well for your needs. The Delta Spey, Delta Long Spey, Windcutter, and MidSpey come readily to mind.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Keith, check out the RIO mid-spey under for sale by owner.

New thread and this 'may be' just the deal for you.
fae

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen-- Thanks for your replies, advice and offer to loan lines. I appreciate it.

For closure, I thought I would tell you what I've done: I ordered a Rio Windcutter in 10/11/12 at Simon Gawesworth's recommendation and was able to obtain a 9wt SA XLT demo line. Despite the bad juju circulating about the Windcutter being a beginner's line (Hey, I AM a beginner!), I thought that I could use it on a heavy single-hander I'm planning for chinook fishing.

Now, I need to work on a reel, but that won't be as difficult.

Thanks again, guys!

Keith

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy Keith

I'm glad you got a line. It should work great as it was recommended by one of the "jedi masters". As to a reel, if money is any consideration take a look at the Tioga 12. I think if you buy one you won't be sorry. Take care, MJC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts