Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering about leader length when using your floating line or intermediate sink tip??? Wouldn't a 10 or 15 foot leader be impossible to cast on a 15 foot tip? Would it throw the rod length equation out??? I have tried putting a long leader on my float tip on my beulah rod and it is damn near impossible to throw a proper loop...With pinks coming I wonder what you guys use and how it works???

Could you just attach a 15 foot leader on and use that instead of your tip??

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,430 Posts
Floating tip = 13-15' leader (I use a three step-down formula for the leader 30#, 20#, and 15, 12 or 10# (60%,20,20%) but others work as well)

Intermediate tip = 4-6' of leader (no step down needed but I occasionally will use a 50-50 2 piece.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
As Sinktip does, I use a short leader of 4' to 6' with a sinking tip. With a floater I use 13' to 16' with a 15'er used most often. The RIO 15' salmon/steelhead tapered leader turns over well and forms the basis of my floating line leader anymore simply because I don't feel like tying my own when this tapered one from RIO works as well. One with a 10# tippet is what I get and it forms tha bais of my floating line fishing, and if you cut off 16"-18" of this leader and tie on an 8# tippet that is 18" to 2' long, it makes a nice leader for smaller steelhead flies that also turns over well.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will that length leader (15') work on a 12'7" rod??? Guess i'll find out for sure tomorrow but may stick with the intermediate depending on water conditions..

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
What may be as important as length is leader construction and tippet size - make sure tippet is heavy enough to turn over the fly you happen to be using but I would not see a problem using a 15' leader with a 12'6" rod. I use over 12' leaders with my 8' 2 wt single hander all the time on spring creeks.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,430 Posts
I was always told general rule of thumb was leader equal to rod length. So I used to tie up 13' for my 13' rods and 15' for my 15' rods but then I got lazy and now just fish a 15' on every rod from 12' to 16'.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I generally fish a longer leader (7-9') with the clear intermediate tip. I use this tip a great deal of the time in winter and spring.

The leader length matching rod length is a good rule of thumb for floating line work, but I'm lazy too. I just use a 15' tapered leader and add tippet when needed. The Rio leaders are good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts