Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys like to store your intruder style flies in while out on the water. I have one of those cases that seem to be made for them, with the hook looking thing you can set the shank eye on, and slatted foam to stick the intruder hook into so it holds the entire fly. Works decent, but I can't seem to find a smaller scaled one for my trout intruders. Was just curious if there are any other good ways to store these kinds of flies.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I use two configurations in a Hitena box.

Config-1 holds 9 square tubes. The box measures 6" x 4" x 0.8". The tubes are 0.6" x 0.6" x 3.3". This config works great for tube flies and shank flies.
Config-2 uses a magnetic plate/foam insert. The magnets secure the eye and the hook and can be arranged to fit just about any size shank flies. The mag insert can also be setup fur use with traditional flies.

I have both configs available to Spey Page members. Config-1 is $15 (includes 9 tubes), Config-2 is $45 (includes the plate/foam insert and 30 magnets), you can also get just the plate/foam/magnet insert for $35. Empty Hitena boxes are $10.

If your interested send me a PM and I'll provide Paypal info and shipping cost.

Config-1
Font Rectangle Writing implement Wood Brush

Config-2
Rectangle Road surface Grass Asphalt Manhole cover

Config-2 (Traditional setup)
Rectangle Gas Font Natural material Audio equipment

Plate/Foam/Mag insert
Hand Black Sleeve Finger Dress shirt

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been enjoying this style box that hangs the fly from the hook eye. I found it at my local shop for under $20 a couple years back.
I like that magnet version mentioned above too, that's very slick going to have to check that out.
Rectangle Organism Magenta Font Electronic device

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses. I had seen the Plan D box as one of the only things that come up commercially for sale. It is quite pricey. A few years ago I bought a similar box on Amazon for about $15 made by Kingfisher, but it appears discontinued.

I like the idea of storing them in inexpensive crankbait boxes. Might give that a try.

I use two configurations in a Hitena box.
Those are sweet. Once I get a fleet of trout intruders tied up, I might have to shoot you a message.

Right now all I have are mostly steelhead/salmon intruders, all in that Kingfisher box sort of crammed in. I just started tying trout sized intruders, mostly sculpin style, and only have a few ironed out, so I'll need a box somewhat soon, but want to see what I come up with in terms of a fleet of trout intruders first. They are fun to tie. I actually have never done trout spey, but got a 10'6' 4/5wt pretty nice Hardy trout switch rod on clearance, paired it with a nice 300g integrated skagit line, just haven't used it yet! Going to also tie up a handful of soft hackles and buggers so I have some options in case the intruders prove to be a bit large for this setup (I don't think they will, they are so far coming out pretty darn light and compact).

·
Registered
297 Posts
This. The Plan D "pocket" doesn't fit in my pocket...
I mean this respectfully, but your waders or fishing jacket doesn't have a single midsized pocket? I only ask, cause i feel all fishing jackets have almost too many deep pockets.. Even if I'm wearing a minimalist wading jacket or a single pocket fishing sweater. The pockets on my waders/ insulation still stack up

·
Registered
410 Posts
I mean this respectfully, but your waders or fishing jacket doesn't have a single midsized pocket? I only ask, cause i feel all fishing jackets have almost too many deep pockets.. Even if I'm wearing a minimalist wading jacket or a single pocket fishing sweater. The pockets on my waders/ insulation still stack up
zippered waders (of which I am a dedicated convert) unfortunately negates the handy chest pouch. There are some pockets in my rainjacket that would hold the Plan D, but if it's in my pack, that's useless. The ziplock fits anywhere....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts