Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello lads.
As a new guy to the board, and to spey rods, I would like to ask a question . My eyes POPPED out when my Diamondback arrived as did my 8 year old sons eyes. He wants to cast whenever he can(in the snow in the backyard). He loves it, as do I.
My question is,,,, when is it time to start a youngster with his own rig??? What would be some suggestions for a starting outfit?? 11'6: 6wt, 7wt? something like that?? Even though he likes it, is he just too young???? As a proud papa, I would never discourage him of any pursuit and am thrilled about finding a two-hand outfit for him. Should I?? Or should i just keep him at the 6wt single-hand for now. Looking forward to your views and opinions.
Salmon Chaser.
aka Dwayne
><)))*>
PS
At 8 years old, he sat through Derek Browns, and the Rio tape in one sitting. He didnt care for the bagpipes though:D

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I kept my kids, 2 boys and a girl, fishing single-hand rods until they were 12. They all started to fly cast with light 7 ft rods and I taught them dousble and single spey casts instead of overhead because it is easier to spey cast 30-45 ft than to overhead cast with their limited wrist strangth.

Any how, at age 12, I got my two sons into 2-handers with light 13 ft 7 or 8 wts and floating lines. My daughter unfortunately decided at age 12 that fly fishing was "uncool for girls" and she quit fishing because none of her friends fished and they were teasing her about fishing being unfeminine. My sons like spey casting with the 2-hander and now they each want several high-end 2-handers.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
SC, sorry if I sound like a 'shill' for Bob Meiser ...

but a good answer might be one of his 'switch rods.' They're light, very easy to cast (work very well with a windcutter line), will handle a substantial fish, won't break the bank for a rod that the kids will enjoy fishing now and for years to come.

Hit his web site and take a peek; questions? Bob will spend as much time as you need with you on the phone.
fae

·
Registered
545 Posts
I get to teach a lot of youngsters fly fishing. Some get a bit board after a bit and we look for frogs or something for a while but others will fish all day long and you have to drag them out of the water. If your 8 year old falls into the later, then I think a good little two hander would be perfect for him. Even though the rods are longer and heavier two hands are stronger then one and he will do fine.

One of my guide days last year was with a fellow and his 8 year old daughter in a blizzard. She was a tiny little thing so I had her fishing a 8'6" 5 wt. with one hand below the reel and one on top of the cork. She was doing well with her double spey and fish were eating the soft hackle. She landed nine 12-15" brown trout all by herself, cast, hook up and reel them in, in a half day. She landed a few others but it was when I was helping her with her cast so she didn't count those. Did I mention that it was a blizzard and that they were from Miami? Though little cookie. Probably my favorite day of guiding last year.

Greg

·
Registered
693 Posts
Dwayne,

The Sage 12ft. 5wt. would brobably work for him and CND & Lamiglas have some great 6/7wt. rods. The only problem I could see is that after you try them you may not want to give them back to him.

Charlie:hehe:

·
Banned
103 Posts
A switch rod would be a good starter; I recently built one and it's light enough that my fiancee, who's quite petite, handles it with no problem. This is a 10' 5-wt. T & T. Meiz's rods are a good starting point, though, and I'm sure would be a rod that your son would treasure forever.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
When he/she is big enough.

I have spent many, many hours afield fishing and hunting with young ones. Myself and all of my close friends have had children and all were encouraged in hunting and fishing. It's the same with both pursuits. If the child can comfortably hold, aim and fire a 410 shotgun, he/she can begin shooting trap and walk afield with Pops during hunting season. If he/she can comfortably hold and work a pole (it doesn't matter what kind, it will all progress), then it is time for that as well. Never force the next step. If you pay attention, the childs action will give you the answer. If your child shows the interst and abillity to follow a specific pursuit, great. If not, then keep fishing worms under a bobber with the Wal-Mart pole. Your child will be happier, which means you should as well. Remember, it's for them, not you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cute picture Sean. When you see what he will do to your rod on the water he will have his own. Advice wise, I agree with Moose that the childs actions will tell you what to do.

My 8 year old has taught me that the adventure, or "I gotta keep moving" is most important to him. He's not ready for fly fishing, and pushing him (ok I admit to trying it :rolleyes: ) is counter productive.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey everyone.
Thanks for your suggestions and views, and as a few have mentioned, I will let my young lad decide, and if he feels he wants his own two-hander,.,.so be it.
At 8 years old he allready has the desire, and is quite capable with a single hand rod. As the newest rod in the house, the 12'6" may just be a novelty for him,,, this season will tell.
Charlie, you can bet his rod will also fit his dads tastes as well;) ;)
Only two weeks from tomorrow and my young man can actually move from the snow banks and into the river and hopefully put a bend in it!!!
Thanks again guys for some sound info.
Salmon Chaser
aka Dwayne
><)))*>

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Boy

In my house ,lucky lad has been double speying with a BW 11-3 since age nine In the dark seatrouting .
Due to lord Geoffs kindness he now has a 12-6 Hardy rod rated for a #9 and is doing the double and single and tells me hes coming up to the Derwent this back end .
:chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Young fly fishers

epiphysis :(

The above can be a serious problem when youngsters damage their growing joints by too much use or improper use of arms or legs.

This may be a good reason to start them out with a two handed rod like a shorter switch rod by RB Meiser.

I think that we are facing an epidemic of arm, elbow and other hand to shoulder injuries in adult fly fishers. Introducing children to the newer faster graphite one handed rods may be setting them up for a lifetime of problems.

A simple roll cast with a two handed rod will probably limit/reduce any such injuries to youngsters wanting to fly fish. This will handle most casts on small streams and ponds. Then they can build up from there. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.