Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a mint GPS 8/9 and I want it to last a LONG time. So, wondering what is the best dressing solution to use after cleaning to keep it floating high and soft/supple and not cracks? Considering this is an older line I wasn't sure if Rio (who presumably made GPS lines) Agent X would be appropriate. Haven't really payed enough attention to know what else is out there.

Tom

·
Banned
21 Posts
I like Rio's Agent X.

I have been using Agent X for the past few years. Treated PVC lines feel extremely slippery. Before that, I used a wee green tin of Overton's fly line dressing, which resembled the wee green tin of Orvis' fly line cleaner I now have. The Overton's required "polishing" with a soft cloth, and gave a very durable high-floating finish. So now I clean a dirty line with soap and warm water, then the Orvis - a surprising amount of dirt comes off - then a polish and the Agent X. Let it dry and polish that too. A cleaned and treated line just shoots through the guides.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Ive used carnauba paste wax on PVC more recently with equal results as with other line polishes. The petroleum-free pastes are completely safe for PVC coatings. I imagine if the can is labeled "flammable" that it will destroy the coating and I don't care to experiment with those.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ive used carnauba paste wax on PVC more recently with equal results as with other line polishes. The petroleum-free pastes are completely safe for PVC coatings. I imagine if the can is labeled "flammable" that it will destroy the coating and I don't care to experiment with those.

Which brand of carnauba wax are you using specifically? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Sure.
Kit brand - is what I had in hand.

I went through several GrandSpeys and two GPS lines due to cracks through-out the body. So bad that only direct exposure to sun-light/heat, that, or defect would explain. I've used wax on several warm-water coatings in considerably dingier water since and the wax proves effective in keeping the line clean which goes a long ways in extending it's life.

Not an original idea of mine. Others claim to have good results also.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
I got some "el slicko" from Poppy and have gone through two bottles of it.

It's that STP product really, now what the heck is that stuff called? Lymebrain fails me at moment. Squirt on gauze, pull line through, fish. No buffing required.

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
I got some "el slicko" from Poppy and have gone through two bottles of it.

It's that STP product really, now what the heck is that stuff called? Lymebrain fails me at moment. Squirt on gauze, pull line through, fish. No buffing required.
Hello.. If the name could be "ArmorAll", you may have to reconsider. It´s very good for the purpose, but the buzz has it "good for PU, but dries PVC out". Isn´t it also water soluble?? Yours borano20

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
Hello.. If the name could be "ArmorAll", you may have to reconsider. It´s very good for the purpose, but the buzz has it "good for PU, but dries PVC out". Isn´t it also water soluble?? Yours borano20
no, it's not ArmorAll, I'm sure of that.
I'll remember once I get far, far away from my computer, I'm sure:eek:

Son of a Gun, maybe?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mucilin

I use warm water and soap. After the washing, green Mucilin with silicone for PVC lines. Red Mucilin is great for silk lines and as a fly flotant.

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
807 Posts
STP "Son of a Gun" it is. I like it. Not easy to find anymore.
A good soap and water washing from time to time is good too I think. Strong detergents are not advised, but not sure why, perhaps too harsh.
Armor All has destroyed some of my lines and I would not recommend.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,047 Posts
I use El Slicko/Son Of A Gun on my Airflo (PU) type lines. Haven't tried it on a PVC line. I read here, I think, that it's not maid any more. I thought ArmorAll was a no no on all lines especially PU lines.

For PVC I have used all the commercial brands the line manufactures sell. I haven't found one any better than the other.

I did have a guy tell me to use ArmorAll on the underside of my rod so the line would shoot better. I'm not sure if it made a difference or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts