Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was thinking that personally I love the looks of any revolving line guide, especially on Hardy perfect reels. However, a silk line goes equally well through a non-revolving line guide. What am I missing?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
By wear you mean the line grooves on the line guard itself, I presume? So, by rotating the line guide the silk line grooves will be spread out evenly. I thought about that but the very history of the Hardy perfects line guides seems to somehow not fit into the theory. Early Brass Faced Perfects were/are like jewels: in terms of looks, quality and prices. Most of the times nowadays we are looking at the original reels from the edge of the 20th century. I know that I have looked at several hundred pictures at least, since I like them for 1000 reasons. Long story short, fixed line guides on the brass faced Hardy perfects very seldom, if at all feature any line grooves. Later revolving guides on them perfects feature plenty of "groovy" stuff. This puzzle does not come together for me. Especially in modern times, when a master reel maker will "bench press" pretty much a wild reach for the sky.
Many thanks indeed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For many years my personal preference was strongly biased towards the revolving line guides. Love their looks. With the extra time provided by the "beer" virus, a deeper thinking about their function helps my jewelry shopping in the reels department.
Tight lines.

·
flytie09
393 Posts
Line guides on Perfects are made from Nickel Silver. It is really irrelevant whether they revolve or not or their vintage, they both can wear. This material is more abrasion resistant than aluminum hence why they were added years ago....to save cutting into the pillars with silk lines which are abrasive in nature.

There are many additional factors on why these silk lines would cut pillars. Their rough texture primarily. When these silk ines would get dirty or the mucilin would wear off (increased friction)......the brand of silk line, in addition how the owner used and took care of their lines and reels all factor in as variables. If an owner didn't care for their lines, didn't coat them well with Mucilin, and pulled the line off the reel to the side vs straight down and never periodically rotated the line guide........would increase the likelihood of them being cut into. I have several vintage reels with and without line guides and with and without revolving ones that all have cuts....and others not.....I've never seen or heard of a link to a particular vintage being more prone vs another.

Now keep in mind...even modern advanced coating lines can still cut into pillars and line guides on vintage and modern reels. This is a caution that Bill Archuletta warned me about a while back. Even as owners today....we still need to be diligent about keeping lines and reels clean, keep them coated with line dressing routinely to reduce friction and minimize potential for wear (cuts) to pillars and line guides.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts