Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im relatively new to the DH rod game( 2 years now) Is there a defined difference between a switch rod and a spey rod?? If its 3 or 4wt is it a switch rod, but a 5 and above is a spey?? Or is a 11'6" a switch and anything longer than a 12'6" a spey rod?? And what is the difference between a micro-spey and switch??

Im guessing its all semantics and one guy might call one rod a switch rod and another would call it a spey

Would love it if someone could educate me on the actual definition of the 3 if there really is one
Thanks
BF

·
loco alto!
3,072 Posts
Perhaps it'd help to know that the term "spey rod" was created in the USA as a marketing tool. The rest follows.

They are all "two-handed" or "double-handed" rods

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
"Spey" Rods:

aka double handed fly rods

"Switch" Rods:

aka short double handed fly rods

http://www.meiserflyrods.com/switch-rods-info.php

http://www.meiserflyrods.com/switch-rods.php

"Micro-Spey" rods:

aka conversion of a single-hander fly rod to a foreshortened double hander handle configuration by adding a small lower grip

2006 discussion - http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=22124&highlight=micro-spey

2012 discussion - http://forum.skagitmaster.com/index.php?topic=1062.0

2014 discussion - http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=99993&highlight=micro-spey

·
Registered
249 Posts
Spey rods generally longer but not always and have more full flexing rod blank not so good for overhead casting but can be done.

Switch rod generally less than 12 feet and stiffer mid-section to allow overhead casting with one or two hands or "switch" to Spey casting and work great with bobbers.

Micro-Spey a small two handed Spey rod sometimes considered a trout Spey
Usually uses shooting heads under 300 grains.
Can be done with a single hand rod without a bottom hand grip.

All debatable when considering rod actions and lines to above.

Some say we aren't Spey casting but are actually doing two handed fly casting. Call what you like.

Pick your fish, how wide is your river, and pick your rod system.

My best understanding from what I've read over the years on this site and people have told me.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Tight casting situation, long cast need's (rare).

You need 1.5'ish time the length of the rod in clean air and you are 'Game on.' Lines, now that's a preference. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
122 Posts
SSPEY is right. The trouble for beginners is that the old switch cast and the modern switch rod don't have much to do with each other--another mis-appropriation of terminology for the purpose of selling you more stuff.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,024 Posts
I have to agree. It's all marketing of two handed rods.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
First time I saw the term "Switch" implemented was by Bob Meiser right here, well over a decade ago. He offered his early 10'6" rods with a removable lower grip (not a new concept) and labeled it a "Switch". From single hand to double at leisure. Manufacturors were quick to jump on the popular concept with their own ideas and nomenclature, for better or worse, sure fire recipe for confusion.

Short spey rods have longer fuller grips than a Switch, which usually has shorter and slimmer. Differences in action are spread throughout the entire double hand realm.

Freshly created 'buzz' words are all about marketing hype.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hei,

the most switch rods today are more then wrong! almost every company make short 2handed rods and not real switch rods.

a switch rod have nothing to do with the switch cast!

today we have at least 3 rod companys here in europe they make real switch rods = Zpey, Salmologic and Guideline. all of the rods from this companys are 1 hand classified. this rods you can cast 1hand and 2hand.

on the other side of the atlantic :razz: you find a lot of switch rods with for ex.: 11´#7: this rods cast about 26-28 gram in head weight. show me how you would cast this rod with 1hand for a while!?!?!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i think there is the big problem today!

best regards from oldervik

kevin

·
Registered
241 Posts
rods

Generally agree with what has been said. I would not define a 'Switch' as anything to do with a switch cast. I believe that's coincidental. My understanding is that a 'Switch' rod is a rod that can be cast as a true single hand rod and having a lower butt section can double handed as well. When used overhead it would be a true single hand 5,6,7.... whatever, but could be loaded with a short spey or modern switch line to maximize its two handed performance.

As most on this forum probably know, when utilizing double hand casts, their dynamic and load requirements generally utilize line grain windows greater then overhead casting. So a rod will tolerate heavier lines when not aerilizing a full head.

I find that many 'switch' rods today are too heavy to be functional single handers but there are models out there that really work.

As for action, not relevant in this discussion, in that all types come in many varying actions.

My two cents.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
I'm like Al Gore -in one way-

I built a "microspey" before there was a "microspey". 2008; 10 wt Cabela's FT blank with a little burled three finger bottom and a full Wells upper. Beauty is, you can use a 36' scandi head and claim you're "bustin' the mid". :chuckle:

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I find that many 'switch' rods today are too heavy to be functional single handers but there are models out there that really work.
Hold that thought.. ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sometime around 2002/3 I had a 10' 6wt Scott SAS blank and was building a two-handed grip for it just on a whim. The owner of the shop I was working out of told the Scott rep what I was up to and he mentioned that the longer grip would throw the flex point up the blank a half a foot or so and I'd probably end up with a 4 1/2 wt instead of a six. So I backed off and the rest is history. We could'a been rich.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Spey/switch/Micro spey

I used to fish a Single Hander, the Wee Double-hander and big double-hander,........ and that was it.
As far as Switch rods and Switch casting history one was make for the other but as its as far away from what we now call a Switch rod as you could possibly get and almost the exact opposite of the now very trendy Underhand or Scandi style of casting.
For some reason we all seem to need to think we are innovators at the cutting edge of all things Speycasting, at a time when its at its most popular.
Cheers Gordon.
DTX Pro Staff.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
yes, the Al Gore thing, Gordon.

Reinventing the wheel is fun, so long as we remember none of us have trodden new ground.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts