Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I get into the Skagit lines, having a basket to hold my running line appears to be a requirement. Yesterday on the ocean shore, I really could have used one with my Rio Striper line.

I have the hard black plastic one, which is flat and has like eggs on the top. It works but it is awkward, and in days like yesterday with really high winds, I feel like I could become Mary Poppins riding my striping line platform. :saeek:

Who makes a good folding one with net in it to let the water run out?

Thanks.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
It ain'tn pretty, but the grocery store wash tub with a couple holes in the bottom and slits for my fishing packs belt to go through works fine for me. I had a real "stripping basket" dealie a few years ago, but since it disapeered I went the cheap way and haven't noticed a difference. Not that it gets a ton of use though. The striper boys should have a markedly better (more informative) answer :hihi:

·
Registered
125 Posts
For my first post, may I suggest the William Joseph one, it folds away neatly and deploys with a quick tug. Used it quite a bit last year on the beach and found it to be quite indespensible.

Colin

·
Registered
234 Posts
For my first post, may I suggest the William Joseph one, it folds away neatly and deploys with a quick tug. Used it quite a bit last year on the beach and found it to be quite indespensible.

Colin
in theroy they are great but like most theories....
I have one of these and i find them useless once u start wading in water..gave it away for free.
the best ones are the hard plastic ones, i have the orvis one and it's been great.. if u want to save money, u can easily make one yourself.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Second on the orvis one with the little bumps in it. I don't use one except at Pyramid when the waves are crashing on me but when I do it works great. A small trashcan altered as needed would be marginally less effective but would do the trick.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I got a "Charlie's Total Control Stripping Basket" for my birthday. So far it seems pretty good. It's basically a lot of nylon mesh, which folds up. It can belt around your waist, or hook into your (wading) belt and strap around your leg; then fold up out of the way if you need to walk.

Google for the website, and enjoy the amusing video!

Tom

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been using stripping baskets for over twenty years. I've found the Orvis basket to be best. The mesh style are nice for folding away but with the cones on the Orvis basket it sure helps keep your line from tangling. L.L. Bean basically has the same basket at half the price. Also check out the HMH website as they have a new mesh style basket with loops in the bottom to keep your line tangle free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.