Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've decided that yet another rod and reel are out of my realm or reality for the time being :rolleyes: , so here I am stuck in the world of single handers... thus I pose this question to you:

What is Spey?

...a 172km long Scottish river, the fastest flowing in Britain, loaded with Salmon, and distilleries...:hehe:
...a style of fishing fly - sleek, racy, and flowing.
...a style of casting said fly using variations and emulations of what many call a roll cast but that is so much more.
...and? add your input!

I'll have to focus my Spey-efforts on learning a number of casts with my single-hand 9'9" 8wt for the time being. All based on the wonderful D-loop. And tying...

-Gus

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Gus, I like the "distilleries" part best.But ..

when you're ready, you know where to find me to "loose your virginity.'
:devil:

Fred

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantasies on the river...

Hey Fred -

Let me know next time you hit Modoc, especially if it's a weekday early morning. I'll let you show me the light, as long as you listen to my Gospel according to Loop!

-Gus

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
No problem, .... other than the weekday part.

Sun up isn't until 7am now so not much time to wet a line before I have to rejoin the Mortgage Man's Battle. (I'll show you the emotional scars some time:smokin: )

Location, for practice (and I've landed fish there the last three visits-including Sunday morning) is very good, and we only have to shift down stream/across to Tou Ville park for you to practice 'river right.' Weekend would be far better for me so you get enought time, and several rods to play with.
fae

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
No issue with the definitions of the river and fly. I suppose this forum is interested in defining the spey cast.
How about this?: "Any one of an evolving number of fly casts, characterized by a water anchor, where the inertia of the fly in/on the water serves to load the fly rod, which can be one-or two-handed." This definition excludes overhead casts done with a spey rod.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The definition NooksackMack gives could also be about the so called 'Underhand cast', developed by Goran Andesson from Sweden. The main difference beween the Spey and Underhandcast is in the position of the hands. With the underhand your hands are closer to each other, the lower (under) hand does most of the work. The upper (ovre) hand does little to speed up the cast, just puts the rod into the right position to load the rod, and to form the D-loop.
The lower hand pushes and pulls the butt and speeds up the line.

Another meaning of the word Spey, Gstrand, could be in the use of heronfeathers to hackle a salmonfly. If you look at the avatar in Gstrand's post you can see what a Speyhackle is....
Hans.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I would venture:

"Spey" is the name adapted from the river and region of Scotland where the seeds of a flyfishing approach originated. Centuries later, this flyfishing style is still rapidly evolving in the rods, lines, flies, and casting techniques in the pursuit of anadromous salmonids around the world.

Primarily identified with it's unique casting method, Spey fishing also provides an improved presentation and coverage of flowing water through a radical increase in available "fishable" water and superb line control.

The cast requires a well directed rearward energy wave (D loop) thrown back from the rod tip balanced with the tension provided at the very instant the last section of line and leader kisses the water to load the rod for the forward stroke. The foreward cast is abrupt and aimed higher than the typical overhand stroke to direct the energy over the river. Despite it's simple description, the cast can be challenging and has a myriad of variations that are part of the challenge, and allure of the casting method.

Spey flies are an interesting part of Spey fishing in that they tend to preserve the tradition of this fishing style. These comprise an array of patterns that are both elegant and effective for their purpose in salmon rivers or steelhead streams today. Other than the lack of heron hackles, patterns like the black heron and lady caroline - have hardly changed a wrap over the ages yet are still standby flies in most Spey fishermen's boxes.

The most up-to-date and dynamic reference for what's going on in Spey fishing is Dana Sturn's Speypages found at:

http://speypages.com"

:smokin:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
amplify definition of spey casting by Nooksack Mac

NMac -
A wonderful start. At this point I ask SIMON G to ride to the rescue!

While awaiting Simon, I offer the following additon to NMac's excellent definition:
• Delete "inertia" and add "friction of leader and small portion of fly line"
• Add "with the purpose of limiting or eliminating backcasting space requirements"
• Add "with the purpose of eldiminating false casts"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts