Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watch as a prove how little I do know...

What exactly is Skagit casting and how does it relate to underhand casting, Spey casting and overhead casting?

A Skagit line seems an awful lot like a sinking Scandanavian shooting head. Just a bit shorter and heavier?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I would click on Riveraddict in members lists and start looking at his threads - he has very good descriptions of Skagit casting. A Skagit line does not necessarily use sink tips but was likely first derived for their use. It is a method of throwing heavy flies and often heavy sink tips by water loading to load the rod. Probably the two main casts are Snap T type and double speys where you pause after the intial set up. I don't know that much about scandinavian style but think it is much more of a splash and go cast often with long leaders so not really pausing after the initial set up - single speys are often used. I think both can use an underhand style cast - short stroke with quite a bit of bottom hand though I don't think that RA's stroke is all that short.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Some observations from Poppy's Riffle...

What exactly is Skagit casting and how does it relate to underhand casting, Spey casting and overhead casting?
There is no pat answer to the above question. It all depends on whom you talk to. A lot of the questions your asking have been covered here, some in great detail, many times before. As I've said several times the archives will answer a lot if not most of your questions. Every good writer that I've ever heard of does one hell of a lot of research so if your really interested in any of this you will be starting with the archives.

The guys visiting and posting here will go to just about any lengths to help a "newbie" but they don't like to have their time wasted by constantly repeating info that is only a click away. Every subject and question you've brought up so far can be answered by a trip to the archives.

As to the promotion of spey casting I think everyone here is doing their best to promote the art, sport, science, addiction, whatever, of spey casting. As to articles in mags about spey casting, I know of one MAJOR national publication that had an article benificial to new spey casters in a special edition and didn't publish because for whatever reason they couldn't sell enough advertising. The mainstream fly fishing mags are just that, "mainstream". Why spend $5.00 for a mag with one (maybe) spey casting article when you can read spey all day, every day right here thanks to Dana, Sean, and several other people that are generous with their time.

I'm averaging about 2 years in a "hobby" before I'm burned out.
If the above is true you just as well bag it now because unless you spend some serious money for some one on one lessons with someone with the ability of a "jedi master" you will most likely not have mastered spey casting before your burnt out. In reality that is where a great deal of the "little used" rods on e-bay come from. Peace and Love from the left bank.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MJC said:
Every subject and question you've brought up so far can be answered by a trip to the archives.
Yup, but many of the things I'm asking about are not easy search subjects. If you search for "Skagit casting" almost every post on the board comes up as an answer. :(

But I agree. I'll shut up and go do some reading...

MJC said:
If the above is true you just as well bag it now because unless you spend some serious money for some one on one lessons with someone with the ability of a "jedi master" you will most likely not have mastered spey casting before your burnt out.
I'm not worried about mastering Spey casting. Just as long as I can keep myself from getting tangled in my own line and catch a few fish I'll be happy. :D

juro said:
This is it from the jedi master his bad self...

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=18460
Thanks Juro, that is exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for the pointers to places to go striper fishing.

Rick J, The pointer to RiverAddict was good. Lots of good posts... Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I knew I should have never brought it up in the other post about spey rods and two handers. It seems every time skagit casting is brought up it turns into a huge discussion about the same thing over and over again. :rolleyes:
Someone please put out a book or a DVD ASAP.

Nothing personal Baldmountain. I know you are trying to learn as much as you can as quickly as you can............. :confused:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
"Someone please put out a book or a DVD ASAP."

Forget the book, most of us can't transfer 3 dimensional casting from printed pages.

Amen on the DVD ASAP!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Grampa Spey said:
Juro, that is a great avatar.

Do the stripers just surrender when you get into that mode?:)
All credit goes to Nick Pionessa of Oak Orchard Flyshop. This pic was taken by some very sophisticated equipment by a serious photographer, Nick. He's revived my interest in photography with his great pics of Topher Browne and the whole clave gang at the Cattaraugus Clave, especially the line-in-the-air shots.

As far as stripers, they are still playing hard to get - but I like them that way :)

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
First off you need to be standing about balls deep in the Skagit. If you are not standing in the Skagit I don't think you can call yourself a Skagit caster. My humble opinion anyways. :razz:

·
Registered
886 Posts
KerryS said:
First off you need to be standing about balls deep in the Skagit. If you are not standing in the Skagit I don't think you can call yourself a Skagit caster. My humble opinion anyways. :razz:
By the same logic.................how many Speycasters across the pond?

I'd rather be a Spey caster than a Skagit caster.

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
Willie Gunn said:
By the same logic.................how many Speycasters across the pond?

I'd rather be a Spey caster than a Skagit caster.
I rather be called a fisherman than any kind of caster.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Kerry,

I agree 100% so I don't expect to continue seeing any of you Skagit casters down on the Skykomish. From now on, stay on the Skagit and let us harrass our fresh, bright, sea lice covered down-streamers in peace. :razz:

Oh and that goes for the Sauk too, from now on -- OFF LIMITS

'tip

1 - 20 of 33 Posts