Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

What exactly is a Skagit cast? A long shooting cast on a short head?

Thanks,
Zach

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Zack...

There is a wealth of info on the Skagit cast on the forum if one will do a little work with the search feature. Some of Ed's and Marlow's line design ideas as well as some of Ed's philosiphy on Skagit casting, plus info by Carl, Northfk16, Brian Simonseth and others. Take care, MJC

PS, Did you get the PM I sent you?

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess not...

Hey MJC-

I'm afraid I didn't, I have 0 total messages. My email is [email protected] if you would prefer to get in touch that way. I love this board, spey fishing is so unique and weird compared to one handed fishing.

Zach

·
Registered
194 Posts
Darnit, I think it's time Ed did a full video. I know he is shown in bits & pieces on some already--a few minutes here, a few minutes there etc.. But I know I'd buy a Ed Ward Skagit Casting Video if there was one.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I agree...

A video by Ed should be a big seller. I know I definitely have a spot in my display for his video.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Hey Juro!

Zach said he didn't get his PM from MJC. Maybe this function is not working correctly?? I sent you one concerning a CND rod a couple days ago. Did you get it?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
What is a Skagit Cast?

Riveraddict and I were sitting around the other day discussing this very topic. It seems that it has caused some real confusion. The style of casting that has evolved in the general "Skagit geographical area" is essentially one that uses a short head/ windcutter type of line and is generally associated with Jimmy Green, Dec Hogan, Mike Kinney et al. While the Skagit Cast that Riveraddict refers to here is clearly related to the aforementioned style, it is very specifically and clearly different.

It has been a little bit interesting listening to and sometimes being a part of discussions between these various casting pioneers. Ed Ward casts differently than Dec Hogan and Scott O'Donnell than Marlow Bumpus and Mike Kinney etc., etc. The crux of the problem has been the coining of the term "Skagit Cast". When used generically it does an adequete job, but when used to describe the specific style of say, Ed Ward as compared to Scott O'Donnell or Dec Hogan it is less than satisfactory.

From what I can gather, of all the generic Skagit casting styles, the one developed and coined "Skagit Casting" by Ed is probably the least like the others. Most of them are classic short stroke, short head casts from the Goran Anderson mold. Certainly a great evolution of Goran's style has occurred - hence the "Skagit " designation, but they all can clearly trace their roots to Goran. Ed Ward's Skagit Cast, while using a short head is a radical departure from Goran. The use of a long casting stroke with large weighted flies, short dense tips and a sustained water load has resulted in the powerful, yet economical style that Ed has become known for.

In our discussion the other day Ed mused that maybe the best thing for him to do would be to come up with a different name for what he does. Then maybe the other "Masters" can relax and do what they do with their own versions of the Skagit Cast.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Kush,

Thanks for bringing up the fact that Ed's style has been coined Skagit casting yet there are quite a bit of different styles that fit under the Skagit casting term.
Of course their common thread is the shortheads and heavy tips. Aaron(speybum), Brian Simonseth, Mike Kinney and I had this very discussion yesterday. Ed's style is very unique and effective. If Ed did make a video it would surely sell well.
Kudos again Kush. It is great to have so many wonderful casters and styles around the great PNW. I am learning something new everyday.

Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts