Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some lingering curiosity about this stick. Never cast a Scott but it seems like the LS2 1408's are pretty highly regarded. Specifically, I'm wondering about the flex profile (e.b. uniform progressive like a Meiser Highlander, deeply regressed - Meiser MKS, soft tip-stiff butt,.....) are they fast or slow, and any other gory details you can think of? Are they similar to any other rods? Preferred lines would also be helpful.

Thanks,

CT

·
Fish Whisperer
249 Posts
Great stick

I'm curious what others say too because I have trouble putting it into words. I'm not familiar enough with Meisers to compare with them. The 1408 is not fast compared to the death stars etc. and certainly not nearly as slow as the G. Loomis Dredgers, Beulah Platinums, or Echo DHs or Classics. Just.... sweet. It's very light in the hands for a 14 ft rod.

For years it was my go-to big water rod lined with a Delta 8/9 and also various 570-600 gr skagits. I haven't used it much recently but I attribute that to my shallow vanity - the handle is bad ass ugly IMO. I'm looking at rebuilding it this winter with lots of high grade cork & burl.

Larry

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
It's been several years, but my impression of the LS2 1408 was not favorable. Maybe a little stiff, but felt too much like a club to me, given that there are so many rods with lighter and smoother actions. For comparison I use mainly a CND Solstice 13' 4", but also have Sage 7136 and 9140-4 brownies, and a Buleah Classic 12' 7" 7/8.

Sg

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I've had one for about a year, primarily for dry line work on Eastern rivers. I used it on the Clearwater River this fall. It's definitely a fast action, and throws tight loops to long distance. I don't find it pleasant, with good feel, even with floating lines, and it's worse with sink tips and a skagit head. Whatever the difference in weight may be - if -any - I think I'll stick with my 15 foot 7/8/9 Highlander.

·
Registered
146 Posts
That exact rod was my first spey rod. I found it enjoyable to cast with a skagit head for sink tips or floating line. I used a 15' cheater on it and it greatly improved my anchor and cast. It's lightweight for its size and has more of a mid flex, but less than a full flex index. Its definitely a medium fast rod. The handle is ugly, but once you get over that it's not a bad stick. Especially for the price of a used one around $200-250. Put a Hardy Marquis Salmon #3 reel on it and you have a perfect match.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts