Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know the general idea of what a clave is. What I'm wondering is where it originaated. Is it soome sort of Spey River tradition? I have wondered this since the first timme I saw it. Just curious.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Steelheader.
It is definately not a River Spey tradition. I think it is an American tradition. I have never heard of it till I came to this and Dana's site. Only 1 week till the Spey opens, rods and reels at the ready.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My guess is is it's short for "conclave".

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes that is what I think also

·
Registered
909 Posts
Clave is a scottish trem for gathering, I think the tern was used in the spey arena, for the gathering at the sandy, last year it just seems that it has stuck with all of us, I do believe that fred was the one that introduced the term.......Kinda Cool......being of scottish desent........I like to learn about stuff like that.......Nate

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I have heard the term used for about 20 years in various contexts, but all of the conclaves I've attended have been flyfishing gatherings. It is a common term coined in fun, kind of like saying a highly regarded destination is "mecca".

Here's a great place to learn the inside scoop about words...

http://rhyme.lycos.com

The definition is "a confidential or secret meeting". Many of our gatherings are publically arranged online but the exact whereabouts, conditions, and techniques are eyes only - in other words if you join us in person you get the inside story.

Clubs of every interest group have used the term to describe their events, for instance if you search on the term you'll see that it has been used by every type of club from computer gamers to golfers to pipe smokers, etc. It's really a widely used universal term to say "let's gather to celebrate or interact directly within shared interests".

I think Dana hit the nail right on the head by calling his discussion area the Spey 'clave'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts