Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Dedicated Fisherman
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away much more than home and have checked the posts here the past few days while home. Are you having a good season? Are the fish numbers good where you are at?

As fall gets into gear it's rainbow time here and I'm excited anticipating the next 2 months. There are lots of silvers in but they are all starting to color up at this time. A few bright stragglers are still coming up the rivers but the mother load is in on most. I've been seeing trout / steelhead that are much longer than the silvers they are traveling with and they are the focus for the rest of my season. If I catch one you can count on a picture of the fish. There are plenty of trout but those giant ones are hard to locate and harder to get into a net :)

Hope you guys are doing well,

Ard

· Registered
11,025 Posts
Shakey hands at this point but

Tieing up some flies. JD's picking me up at 'zero dark thirty' Monday and going to hit the river for the first time in months. I'm 'wabbably on my feet' but I really am looking forward to the venture.

fae

· Dedicated Fisherman
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Shefish! North of me I'm guessing :)

I'm working on a post which will kinda cover the season, could be a long one :D

Fred, I hope you have a good day and do say Hi to JD from me please. I'll be seeing you in November.

· Administrator
17,736 Posts
Cataract surgery.
Gary
Hope you are recovering well Gary :)
How's the new peepers ??
No excuses now when the wife has a look at your bench and says to clean your mess :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

I've been counting the days since May for the fall to arrive !! I have a few tubs filled with fall and winter hopefuls . 6 weeks until my salar hunt starts on the east coast ... WA-HOOOOO !!!!

Mike

· Dedicated Fisherman
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cataract surgery.
Gary
Hi Gary,

I hope you are doing well after that. I'm going to take a few days to go get some things done at the cabin and see if I can't catch a few fish while I'm at it :) Our weather is so far cooperating and the trout / steelhead fishing for the next 2 months is looking real good.

Hope your vision will be greatly improved,

Ard

· Registered
234 Posts
I'm retired: Fish, Build rods, Tie flies; repeat. Good numbers of Coho and Steelhead in the river. Fishing almost every day, having great fun with all types of spey rods. Lots of bear activity this year as well - This young guy was a poor fisherbear, he'll either get better or become a vegetarian.

Attachments

· Registered
828 Posts
Fishing related activities are on the back burner with the arrival of our daughter in July. I still get a chance to tie flies between diaper changing, but nothing like I used to be able to do. I also have two rods to finnish building and I have deluded myself that the drift boat I am building is going to be done in time to fish this fall.

Great to hear that everyone is well and fishing.

Brayden

· Dedicated Fisherman
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter Brayden!

Pretty cool shot of the bear chasing the salmon Sigbusa!

I'm waiting until tomorrow before I go fishing again. Yesterday turned out to be just a boat ride because the water is a bit stained from rains last Wednesday - Friday. Tuesday should see good trout conditions again; there are plenty of silvers but I spend my time searching for those rainbow / steelhead trout that are intermixed with the salmon. There are some beauties but being able to spot salmon is the key to finding the big trout, the color doesn't help.

· Registered
1,433 Posts
Ard, it's been a long time my friend. Unfortunately I have been working much more than I'd like since moving but I have done some exploring and having a great time, did some trips to the Deschutes, Santiam, N. umpqua, and the rogue is coming in the next couple weeks.

I am quite jealous thinking about missing fall up there, I'm gonna try for a trip back home next year as I just don't think I can go too long without my home water!

I know you have a lot planned for your trip down here but let me know if you have any free time or need a fishing partner one day, mostly I'd just like to see boss but your company isn't so bad either :chuckle:

Take care of yourself and be safe this fall.
-Josh

· Dedicated Fisherman
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hiya Josh,

We're going to play the trip day by day because I've been following plans all season here. It'll be fun to just go putz around and fish while I'm at it. I've been having a real good season in my area and am looking forward to the next 60 days. I hope you get some time to fish buddy. I've been using some pretty big purple & black tube flies through June & July but August was Sculpin time for me. So far I've caught every species we have on the Sculpins like what I showed you last winter.

I'll need your phone number if you want me to try connecting while we're down there.

Ard

· Registered
2,394 Posts
Hi Ard, always enjoy your posts. Our Chinook season here in Michigan has been a very slow starter, which is ok by me, because the Steel is where it's at. Good luck this season and thanks for sharing your journeys.

· The Dude abides
2,099 Posts
Eye and knee surgery rehabs. Looking to rebuild for this winter season! I can see like a damn fighter pilot now!!! Now that i have mended some, Its twice a week fishing in the month of september for me!!! Starting tonight or tomorrow morning. Been otherwise tying and giving away flies, and of course theres always work to be done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.