Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
Scott, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, Winston and Fenwick SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They seemed to no longer be in the catalog. Are the new G2 Platinum rods Onyxs with a new name?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think they stopped making them a while back, the Onyx 8140 wasn't available for a couple years now, so glad I got one (and the 7wt, and the 6, and the 5 ... )

My guess is they are replaced with the G2 Platinums. I so wish they'd do a G2 16' 8/9

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
There are even some “closeout” sales on the Onyx. Seems like they might have called it the Onyx g2 if it was a spiritual successor, but maybe they feel “platinum” has more selling cred. Does anyone know what the actions are like on the plat. g2? I’m guessing a bit faster than the Onxy, but the official “med-fast” could mean almost anything depending on a person’s perspective.

I have twice as many rods as any sane person should have, but I have to admit another Onyx is still one of the things I occasionally fantasize about. :)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Only way to generate revenue for these companies... Is there really that much difference? Just my twi cents this is an industry strategy

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Personally I’d save that kind of snark for companies like Sage and Orvis who are far more guilty of it. I don’t think Beulah has ever had yearly or bi-yearly model updates. Furthermore the new ones are graphene rods (or would graphene enhanced be more correct?) some of the first on the market. Graphene might indeed turn out to be a flop, and pointless, but looks like Beulah has gone all in with it. If it turns out to become universal in another decade these rods might end up being viewed as ones that helped establish the innovation. Bruce Berry has stated the Onxy undersold, so not surprised they are trying something else.

·
Premium Member
Scott, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, Winston and Fenwick SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As long as I was just casting, Beulah rods were wonderful, but when I really wanted to catch a fish, the original Platinums didn't have the backbone to bring a steelhead to hand. That is when I moved toward the Onyx. Later moved on to T&T, Scott ARCs and now OPST rods. But, there is always an itch for one more and the Onyx was/is in the back of my mind.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Some crazy deranged souls have actually sold them off second hand.
Even though I'm mostly down to my customer Meisers, I wouldn't even sell my onyx lineup at full retail anytime soon!

The 8140 and the 7137 me thinks are the sweethearts, if you find one, grab it!

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,342 Posts
They have an 8wt 14' Onyx and a 7wt 13'2" Platinum in they're discounted section right now.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Love my 8140... once I found the right line and learned what it wanted me to do! Just effortless tight loops now!

Can anyone here tell me how the Onyx 6131 differs from the Platinum G1 6126? I own the G1 6126 and am wondering if the Onyx 6131 has a stiffer tip and can handle longer floating lines a little easier?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Some crazy deranged souls have actually sold them off second hand.
Even though I'm mostly down to my customer Meisers, I wouldn't even sell my onyx lineup at full retail anytime soon!

The 8140 and the 7137 me thinks are the sweethearts, if you find one, grab it!
....from my cold dead hands.....id ever give up any of my Onyx quiver unless it was to a family member. I wonder what would happen now in the event of a breakage? I don’t think Beulah repairs broken sections so they may give you a discount on a G2?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't have any Onyx models, nor have I casted the G2 yet.

But, I do have five Platinums and I can't think of parting with them. Broke the top two snake guides on day two of a week-long steelhead trip last November. Only had switch rods as back ups with me. Purchased a back up spey rod (not a Beulah) later that day to get me through the week (okay rod, but I sure missed my 7132!). This year I already have a back up Beulah Plat. spey - jic.

I found Gene's comment about the original Platinums not having the backbone to land a steelhead surprising. I'm happy the steelhead I've landed with my 7-132 didn't hear that - lol, ha, ha!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have any Onyx models, nor have I casted the G2 yet.

But, I do have five Platinums and I can't think of parting with them. Broke the top two snake guides on day two of a week-long steelhead trip last November. Only had switch rods as back ups with me. Purchased a back up spey rod (not a Beulah) later that day to get me through the week (okay rod, but I sure missed my 7132!). This year I already have a back up Beulah Plat. spey - jic.

I found Gene's comment about the original Platinums not having the backbone to land a steelhead surprising. I'm happy the steelhead I've landed with my 7-132 didn't hear that - lol, ha, ha!
And the original Platinums may well have the backbone, but at the time I was using them, I only landed one of the fish I had on and the rest were lost for various reasons. A couple I might blame on the guide who kept wanting me to bring the fish closer to the boat and the rod simply wouldn't do it. Most of my steel heading has been done from a boat and I'm not sure how different landing one is when you are wading.

·
Registered
906 Posts
And the original Platinums may well have the backbone, but at the time I was using them, I only landed one of the fish I had on and the rest were lost for various reasons. A couple I might blame on the guide who kept wanting me to bring the fish closer to the boat and the rod simply wouldn't do it. Most of my steel heading has been done from a boat and I'm not sure how different landing one is when you are wading.
You have way more options when you are wading. You have the benefit of having your boot soles on the river bed and using the river bottom shallowing to your advantage. I like drift boats for various reasons but I really love to hike and wade. When your soles are on the river bed you are connected to the river, more a part of it. Its whole. I like that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Okay Gene, I now see why you made that statement. I've fished out of drift boats, rafts, kayaks, and power boats a lot over the years and with very good success. Some types of fishing - a boat is the only way to go. And my wife would attest - I have a boat fettish! Although I've spey casted a few times from a boat, I found it to be a totally unpleasant and unnatural experience for me. Just doesn't feel "right" to me. And, I can see some issues with landing a fish with a longer spey rod in a boat. I prefer to use the boat to just transport me to a run, get out and step and cast my way through - get back in the boat and move to next spot. Think "taxi" here.

As Greg said - MANY more options and flexibility while wade fishing. Hook a big or hot fish and walk it up/down/back on the bank to the waiting landing net is far easier than trying to bring it to a short fixed window along side a boat. Of course, some rivers / runs don't allow that to happen, and you can only stand stationary in one spot (canyon areas, etc.). But, whenever possible I'd still rather take my chances wading. Although it applies to dry land, I still adhere to the adage "Terra firma - the more firmer the less terror!"

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
I’ll take any excuse to stand in a river and take in the flow of life. Fly fishing just keeps people from thinking you are a nut case. I don’t fundamentally care if they do, but it would harsh the buzz to have to keep reassuring people I am not. :giggle:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just put a Beulah Onyx 14'0" 8-weight up on the classifieds if anyone is interested. In great shape. $425 shipped.
--Alan from Detroit

·
Registered
529 Posts
There are even some “closeout” sales on the Onyx. Seems like they might have called it the Onyx g2 if it was a spiritual successor, but maybe they feel “platinum” has more selling cred. Does anyone know what the actions are like on the plat. g2? I’m guessing a bit faster than the Onxy, but the official “med-fast” could mean almost anything depending on a person’s perspective.

I have twice as many rods as any sane person should have, but I have to admit another Onyx is still one of the things I occasionally fantasize about. :)
Hi, The actions are very much like Platinum. G2 (G = Graphene impregnated resin & pre preg), (2 = 2nd generation Platinum). In fact, if you cast both 7132 original and G2, you might not feel a difference initially. Once you get into it you can find a little extra power band when needed. Cleaned up the 6 weight and made a 12'8" instead of a 12'6"...wanted people to know it was not just a re-painted decade old stick. Wanted a rod from the Onyx Series which was a really nice tweener size (12'9" 7) ended up being a 12'8" 7 and is amazing in all respects! We did a 6 piece 13'8" 8/9. We have never done well in the big rod category. There is no appreciable pick up in weight due to ferrules and it makes it easy for east coasters to get to the Atlantic grounds and west coasters to get to Canada as it packs into a rod tube as long as a 9'0" 5 wt. 4-pc. and...as a 6-piece it still breaks in half (still important for some reason?) Last, we added exceptional 12'0" 3, 4 and 5 weight micro/Trout spey...incredibly light in hand and clean, crisp, user friendly casters. A bit more classically appointed with stabilized wood burl inserts, Snake Brand guides (nothing compares to that quality...think perfect circle...no line pinch point), Nickel plated aluminum seats to keep everything light. These have been recepted very well. Keep buying...I got some ideas for other really cool sticks, short B.C. east coast, Alaska 8 or 8/9, long 6 and long 7. We sure can use and appreciate all the support!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Love my 8140... once I found the right line and learned what it wanted me to do! Just effortless tight loops now!

Can anyone here tell me how the Onyx 6131 differs from the Platinum G1 6126? I own the G1 6126 and am wondering if the Onyx 6131 has a stiffer tip and can handle longer floating lines a little easier?
I would not say the Onyx 13'1"6 necessarily has a stiffer tip although the Onyx does recover lightning fast and is very stable and predictable. It is an extremely moderate, full flexing rod that bends deep easily and is best cast/enjoyed w/ a relaxed casting stroke. It is longer and does deal w/ longer lines and longer distances very easily.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts