Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what hand wind you use. one thing i hear is that in canada and the UK right hand wind is more popular and left hand wind is more popular in the states.

·
Hall Monitor
497 Posts
I'm a rightie!:D

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
left..................

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have both left and right handed reels.. i prefer right but trying to learn reel both ways. reeling left does makes sense especially for one handed rod as you don't have to change hands when playing a fish.

·
Steelherder
155 Posts
Left of course -

I am right handed and it makes no sense to use my weak arm to do the heavy lifting. Of course my mileage may vary from yours on this issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Reel handle on which side?

Well I'm a guy who holds his rod under his right arm during the drift. I like to have my reel handle an the outside of my clothing. So that if I get a fast taking salmon or steelhead, the reel handle will not slam into my jacket! By having the reel handle on the 'outside' it can give backing undisturbed.

The casting has no influence on this item, because I use both arms, depending on currents and winds, on top/bottom grip.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Dansome's "mileage" agrees with me

Dansomes said:
I am right handed and it makes no sense to use my weak arm to do the heavy lifting. Of course my mileage may vary from yours on this issue.
Two other reasons I have a left handed reel as a right hander:

1. Often, I get a strike as the fly hits the water or just starts to sink. So I'm not changing rod hands when this happens. I have wondered how many rods have ended up in a river when a big fish connects and heads south while the fisher is changing rod hands.

2. When we fish for strippers down here in our rivers and Delta, many of us like to hold our rods with our strong arm while we strip with our left hand. That way we can strip and set the hook with our left hand while moving the rod in the opposite direction with our right hand to help set that hook. Then when the striper wakes up and realizes something is in its mouth and takes off, we are immediately ready to battle that fish.

When fishing in a boat, like Dansome, the last thing I want is my expensive, rod and reel in my weak hand bringing a good size fish in for my Boga Grip.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Malcolm would be proud

roballen said:
I use the proper hand to wind.. which of course is he right ...
Allthough I disagree I cannot help but admire the attitude;) . Willie Gunn could not have stated it any better.

Ramsay

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
But based on another of his replies, I surmise that Rob is left handed so in fact, he is using the proper hand to wind. :razz:

Ponder this -- Is there any correlation between how one winds and how one votes? :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sinktip:
I know of no correlation between how one winds and how one votes; however, there seems to be a direct correlation between how one votes and how one spins.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
roballen said:
I use the proper hand to wind.. which of course is he right ...
Seems to me I have seen Rob cast. And if memory serves correctly he is right handed.

Myself, I am a lefty. But I have always reeled with my right hand.

I think the reason for this is that I started fishing with the old bait casting reels. In those days, these reels were only available with the crank on the right side. You had no choice but to crank with the right hand.

As I would watch my Dad, and all the other righties cast, & switch hands to retrieve, I always thought the guy who invented those things must have been a lefty. For me, it was cool as I didn't have to switch hands to retrieve.

Then came those abominable open face spinning reels. Not only did they put the crank on the wrong side, the damn things wound the line on the reel the wrong way!:eek: For me anyway.:(

For quite a few years bait casting reels have been available, at least in the US, with a left hand crank. So some of the newbie right handers have learned to crank with their left hand. Older righties on the other hand (pun intended, definitely), maybe, just came up with excuses to justify switching hands. Or to not learn to crank with the "other" hand.:tsk_tsk:

As to how one votes,,,,,,:lildevl:

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Pescaphile --

You may have something there with the spin comment. My correlation was aimed tonuge in cheek at a couple of my brothers from the north side of the border. If I would have been thinking I would have excused you and your buddy Pat from my analysis as I know of your love of RHW Perfects.

Kush once told me that the only reason that Americans reeled with their left was because we were so anti-British that we did everything opposite no matter the logic. Perhaps so or perhaps my Canadian friends are still tied to the queen's knickers :hihi: Either way, I wish there were more LHW w/ lineguard Perfects out there.

'tip

·
Sorry horible English
83 Posts
I`m a left winder. But I´m thinking getting a right winded reel for left hand casting.
I think the Top hand should control the Rod.
Benjamin

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
I'm a righty

Depending on which side of the river I am on and the wind direction I cast with either my right hand or left hand up.

Rich

1 - 20 of 30 Posts