Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of a Grand Spey for my Daiwa WF99 15' 10/11. Any knowledgeable suggestions as to what weight I should buy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dana--will I still feel the rod work with the 8/9?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Trust me ... You will.

The GS has a huge number of grains and once your out past the 50-60 foot mark beyond your rod tip you'll find your rod will load very well.
fae

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps someone can help me with this question as well--I'm thinking of buying the line with tips. Will the tips work with my Mid-Spey well enough that I won't have to carry a second set?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hi BB. Little lost here. May be wrong but

I wasn't aware that the Grand Spey came out yet as a tri-tip line. The Mid-Spey yes in deedie.

Personal preference here (aka .02 cents worth) is I'd rather leave a good full floater alone and get a second reel/spool and load that up for tip work.

Stringing/unstringing/ looping/unlooping is a pain in the fanny. Have a seperate reel/spool you can set this up with a cheap looped DT line, a cut back WC, what-ever and just leave the tip on it. Worst case is you have to restring your rod, which you'd have to do anyway.

But what you don't have to do is go through all that other nonsence. Also, I've found (river conditions situation) that most of the tips that come with the tri-tips are too light to make a bit of difference.

Better off going with a heavier fly(s) or a RIO or Airflo sinking leader run off your dry line.
fae

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Fred, up until this point I've been using the Sinking leaders, and when the situation demanded it, chopped up shooting heads (I don't find them pleasant to cast). I believe Rio is now supplying tips with the Grand Spey--here's the link:
http://www.rioproducts.com/2003pages/speylines03.html

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
BeBop,

Yes the sink tips provided with the GrandSpey with tips will work very well with the same size MidSpey, or vice-a-versa. If you already have a MidSpey or Windcutter in the same size, simply buy the GrandSpey without tips, cut it 15 to 16 feet from the tip, put a loop on both ends, and then use the sink tips that came with the equivalent MidSpey or Windcutter.

Unlike Fred, I have no problem with cutting a line and using tips from floating to Deep Water Express on the line. To be fair, Fred is correct in that an uncut floater casts, mends, and fishes in a more pleasing manner than one that has been cut and looped. Howeer, in my opinion, the tradeoff of a little less finess with the cut line and looped tips is worth it because you don't have to carry multiple rods to the river, nor do you need to unstring a rod and restring it with a different line to go from floating to sink tip.

Ah, me thinks we all need a personal ghillie to carry the extra rod.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
BB, thanks for the correction on the GS.

Had no idea they'd gone into a tri tip configuration on these lines. They updated their web site and didn't check with me first.:hehe:

On this basis, I'd have a tendency to suggest that if you want a 'tri tip' line, stick with the one the manufacturer has already worked out the casting 'kinks.' You'll have the added knowledge that the loops are in exactly the right place, well made, and a warrenty if one of them falls apart. Which they do; had one do this on the North Umpqua last week. Cost me a 300 grain BB.

Only base reason I've (or had Mark Bachman make up for me) made/used cut back floaters is to create 'launcher lines.' I already had the tips or needed a line that had the 'ommph' to cast the RIO Big Boys.

So many toys, so little time!!
fae

1 - 10 of 10 Posts