Spey Pages banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm just curious what most people carry in their fanny packs or vests when they fish, also which do they prefer vest or pack?
I’m a wanna be minimalist but I often fail in that endeavor. That said; this year I’m going out with one or two fly boxes, scissor/pliers, a couple of rolls of mono, head wallet, tip wallet, a few leaders, lip balm, UV Wader Repair and a super small Nalgene bottle of water with a cliff bar or two. I use a waterproof roll top hip bag. Yes, it can be a pain to frequently get into and out of…but when you go for an unexpected dip you don’t have to dry out your fly box. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sling pack: heads/leaders/tip/hooks wallet, tippet spool(s), fly box or two depending on the quarry, hook sharpener, forceps, nippers, freezer sized Ziploc with TP and a garbage bag, can bear/methhead spray on sling, tube UV wader repair, water or beer, compact extra rain coat if weather calls for it. I always leave room for shedding layers.

Question - I've been wanting a decent tactical knife or multi-tool for my belt. More and more I am looking to be out longer and go further. What do you carry that you use and like?
I carry an old Gerber Gator. When I use to drill with the Navy Boat Units; they all carried a Gerber tool and/or a Gerber Gator knife. Each had a tie on point so if you went in the drink you wouldn’t lose your gear.

Reactions: JLT

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m a wanna be minimalist but I often fail in that endeavor. That said; this year I’m going out with one or two fly boxes, scissor/pliers, a couple of rolls of mono, head wallet, tip wallet, a few leaders, lip balm, UV Wader Repair and a super small Nalgene bottle of water with a cliff bar or two. I use a waterproof roll top hip bag. Yes, it can be a pain to frequently get into and out of…but when you go for an unexpected dip you don’t have to dry out your fly box. :)
One more very vital item - my flask. :) You have to give a toast to the fish! :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
For me, dehydration is the easiest way to ruin a day. Even mild dehydration leads to a dull headache which once it sets in is hard for me to kick and takes a lot enjoyment out of the day.

·
Registered
434 Posts
@John_MT...

From the east, so fishing for native, wild, or stocked trout (depends on the venue), and smallmouth bass when it's warm. Fish could be 3" or 28". Water could be 5' to 3/4 mile (literally) wide. Rods go from glass 3wt single-handers to 15' 10wt two-handers.

10wt sounds like overkill, but it really isn't... I've swung up a few very big wild browns (ones that should have been measured in pounds, not inches).

How to be "minimalist" -
Know the water and the fish. What flies do you fish and what does your leader setup look like 99% of the time? Use technique and heavy or light wire hooks to fish at different depths instead of carrying a wallet full of tips. Ditch anything that doesn't get used every trip... Except for flies at first. Eventually pare your fly selection down to a few confidence patterns, why carry anything else?

·
Registered
190 Posts
@John_MT...
How to be "minimalist" -
Know the water and the fish. What flies do you fish and what does your leader setup look like 99% of the time? Use technique and heavy or light wire hooks to fish at different depths instead of carrying a wallet full of tips. Ditch anything that doesn't get used every trip... Except for flies at first. Eventually pare your fly selection down to a few confidence patterns, why carry anything else?
I can completely see getting to a the point where one line/head and couple tips/leaders would be the easiest way to go. I do want to get to that. I'm still trying to figure out what the one line to do it (almost) all is. I'll get there. But I still like to have the other stuff, e.g. layer/jacket, water, small thermos or beer--depending, a little food... I'll always carry some sort of pack, I just like to. Even so, there are advantages to minimizing the actual fishing gear.

·
Beamer
8 Posts
Sling pack: heads/leaders/tip/hooks wallet, tippet spool(s), fly box or two depending on the quarry, hook sharpener, forceps, nippers, freezer sized Ziploc with TP and a garbage bag, can bear/methhead spray on sling, tube UV wader repair, water or beer, compact extra rain coat if weather calls for it. I always leave room for shedding layers.

Question - I've been wanting a decent tactical knife or multi-tool for my belt. More and more I am looking to be out longer and go further. What do you carry that you use and like?
I have been very pleased with this tactical knife attached to my wading belt.

Sharp, durable, discrete, easy to access, and lashes securely to my fishpond wading belt. A bit pricey but worth the investment.

Tire Wood Automotive tire Lamp Tints and shades
Shoe Product Wood Bag Grey

61 - 69 of 69 Posts