Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
3,179 Posts
I use a sling pack. I've had a hip pack and found it more trouble than it was worth. Inside is a couple fly boxes, spool of maxima, spool of fluro, a couple polys. On the strap I have hemos and folding scissors. Pliers in a sheath on my belt. Also in the pack there's usually a lighter but no menthols. Occasionally a cigar.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I gave up on a vest a long time ago. It's like my garage and just accumulated too much junk. A sling pack is my favorite accessory these days and I have one packed for winter fishing and another for summer and fall. These usually contain a couple of boxes of flies, leader, a spare head or completely rigged spare spool, tips and/or polyleaders, sunscreen, a hip flask and a lighter.

Many days I go minimal and just tuck a small fly box into my waders, a spool or two of maxima in the pocket of the waders and clip a Dr. Slick hemostat with the scissors onto the wader strap. Or, I take what I need out of the sling bag (see minimal above), and toss the bag on the bank or leave it in the boat while I wade through a run.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Sling pack - fly box #1 (wets & streamers), fly box #2 (dries / wakers), hook hone, nippers, hemostats, pliers, head wallet, tippet spools, bug/head net, bandana, license, net. Rain jacket if it looks threatening.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I carry too much in a back pack but, I'm usually out dawn to dusk: multiple fly boxes for different methods and conditions, tips, spare spool or heads, lunch, thermos or drinks depending on season, 1st aid supplies, extra leader/tippet, screwdriver for reel repair, spare BOA kit. Paper towels, spare gloves, water thermometer, nail knot tool. Coat goes in it while hiking so I don't overheat. Polaroids in a pouch on strap.

Sling pack in the water with flies for method/conditions, tippet & leader. Nippers around neck, pliers and staff on belt, weak side, tippet rings, a bit of shot. Vest and front packs are troublesome for spey.

Coat pockets: hand warmers, trash bag, landing glove. Folding knife, and wallet and phone in weatherproof pouch, in wader pockets.

Dr Slick makes good pliers at a reduced price. I've learned to pass the lanyard around my belt in case the holster comes off.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
I carry a traditional Chapman canvas/leather bag crammed with boxes of hundreds of flies, of which I end up usually using about 3. Plus innumerable tips, polyleaders, tippet spools, nippers, pliers, forceps, thermometer, scales, camera, and various clothing items. Most of the time, none of it comes out of the bag. I'm hopeless.

·
Registered
Redington Dually 8116 Rod, Redington Grande, Lamson ARX 3.5,
71 Posts
I'm just curious what most people carry in their fanny packs or vests when they fish, also which do they prefer vest or pack?
I'm currently carrying a hip pack as I found the previous sling pack I had made my right shoulder sore, although I probably packed too much in the sling and have yet to try one that is ambidextrous so you can switch sides. I will see how the hip pack works out. I may end up turning to the full on backpack but i'm hoping the hip pack will suffice. I typically pack 2-3 small fly boxes, two bags of pre-made leaders, various sink tips, split shot, gloves, barb pliers...on the outside I have a water bottle holder, tippet holder, extra rod holder, on the strap I have nippers w zinger, hemos. I like to carry my wading jacket and some layers but with the hip pack that is not possible. I may have no choice but to go back to a sling or backpack eventually. Find what works for you....which unfortunately involves some trial and error. Cheers

·
Registered
RB Meiser, Sage, Vision, Speyco, JW Young
562 Posts
I use to wear a vest and switched to an Orvis sling pack. I found that the bulkey vest got in the way when spey casting, I prefer the sling when casting.
Like many others I carry to much.
Lines, tips MOW and DC, polys, several spools of maxima, pliers, mitten clamp, flash light, nippers, sometimes a spare reel or spool, Water or Thermos depending on season, 4 fly boxes. I think that's it unless I forgot something.
I am the same as SalmonCane in that I will only fish a few flies during an outing and alot of the stuff I carry rarely sees the light of day.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
No packs - one fly box in front wader pocket, 8#, 10# & 12# maxima tippet spools, hemostat in wader pocket, nippers on a zinger, Dr slick hook file, stream thermo, Thermos cup with McDonald's medium blend coffee with coffeemate hazelnut creamer, cell phone with electronic fishing license and harvest tag.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used to wear a vest, then I switched to a fanny pack, and then a sling pack, and now I use a Fishpond roll-top backpack. I use this for general fly-fishing, not just when I've got the DH rod, and it is big enough to carry most of the things that I think I'll need. It's waterproof, which is good, and it holds a lot of gear - most of the time I don't need much of what I bring, but it's nice to know I've got it with me if a situation arises that I need it.
Some things are always in there: matches, roll of TP, painkillers, small folding knife, hemostats, lightweight set of dry clothes, rain jacket, water bottle, spare set of warm gloves, sunscreen, insect repellent.
Some things are almost always in there: leader materials (both tippet and butt section), measuring tape, camera, crying rag, headlamp, snacks.
Some things are in there depending on the destination: fly boxes, different tips/heads, spare spools, spare reel.
Attached to the outside is a 2nd pair of hemostats, a net (size depends on where I'm fishing), and more often than not, a wading staff.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts