Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys what your favorite fur to use for hair wing tube flies. so far i tried artic fox ( the pro tube stuff) and the raccoon by them as well. what do you find the best fur out there. i havent got them wet yet but i seem to like fox out what i tried so far

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
for small tubes, I use Coypu, arctic fox mask, squirrel tail & PB

for larger tubes, I use arctic fox, marble fox (longer), Finn raccoon, PB & goat: occasionally TD or CM - often using a mixture of these various furs

no particular favourite, as all these different furs have their place....;)

Mike

·
Registered
879 Posts
Same as Mike pretty much, though I've never used Coypu

Some of that Pro Tube marble fox is nice and long. Tough to order without seeing though. I got some in banana yellow that is looooooong...wish I could find it in other colors at that extreme length

·
Registered
517 Posts
Is almost impossible to answer on this question because there are so many different style of tying and in fact most of them are also represented in tube version of flies.
In fact tube flies are in my opinion much more popular in Europe than hook flies. We tie on tube as tiny flies like 1,5cm and as big as 15cm (sometime even more)
A few an examples

Bucktail. Very traditional and still very popular material .

GH version

And more shrimp look

The most populat in tail of variety of shrimp flies both on hook and tubes

Snaeldas

Snow Runner . it is relative new material used mostly for big tube flies both for salmon and fresh and salt predators

·
Registered
517 Posts
Zonkers materials . they are popular especially in Denmark but also more and more in another countries.
For zonkers we can use variety of furs like : muskrat , different foxes, American and Austraian opossum, rabbits , morten, mink, kangaroo etc.
A few different styles tied by Scandinavian tiers .

·
Registered
517 Posts
Coypu=nutria . Amazing material till now mostly use in Finland but more and more in another countries.
I do not have too much photos but just to show this material.

Tubes content some hairs from nutria ass well barbs from feathers. Sparsely tied . it is very characteristic for Finland’s flies. They are relative big even for low water condition but with minimum anount of material.

I think nutria is more visible on this hook flies. But on tube you can tie completely the same

·
Registered
517 Posts
But definitely material no 1 for tube flies is fox. I have on mind different king of foxes arctic, marble, silver , shadow etc.
They are different names and quality used for different patterns .

Temple dog style

Beiss style . Flies tied by originator .

And similar style

And Sunray

Of course they are much more materials and styles but it was small inspiration .

·
Dom
3,229 Posts
Im part of arctic fox cruelty association too. 2xl for underwing and 3xl for the main wing on my temple dog breed flies. Finn **** looks like very good stuff but I tend to stay away from buying it for moral reasons. Arctic fox is probably the same story but a man has to put food on the table somehow. What I would really like to know is a good synthetic substitute. :roll:

·
Registered
517 Posts
And mix of nutria as support for soft material .In this case turkey .
Due to such construction fly keep nice shape even in strong current .
I think nutria can do job alone in smaller flies but last year due tropical heat we used big flies than longer material was necessary

Fly in water

And result of testing on animals

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
It's the influences from Jurij (Yuri) Shumakov that got me to use & blend multiple layers and multiple different furs for the wings of many of my ties, on tubes, hooks and on shanks....

http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10222b.htm

Mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts