• No

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 45 42.9%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Any color's good, as long as it's purple.

Your team has had some success lately so why don't you tell us what's working.

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Any color's good, as long as it's purple.

Your team has had some success lately so why don't you tell us what's working.
Poppy, when thoroughly researching the Speypages Archives, I happened across your reference to a pattern called "Jail Bait" as being your favorite. Folks asked you for the recipe but I musta missed it. This was a while back. Did you ever share it?
Thanks. Greg

·
Registered
323 Posts
Flies

Since the floods of November local flow is filled with Clay sediment, water normally has unlimited visibility at this time of year but now we are lucky if visibility is 18 inches.

To combat the conditions Bright or Dark day very large Bubble Gum Pink has been the answer.

Ian

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I dunno, I just kinda cycle through the ones that have worked for me in the past, and try out new ones that I want to catch a fish on.

I do like brighter flies for ocean fresh fish though, winter or summer, rain or shine.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I dunno, I just kinda cycle through the ones that have worked for me in the past, and try out new ones that I want to catch a fish on.

I do like brighter flies for ocean fresh fish though, winter or summer, rain or shine.
I can relate. Presently on the Chetco River (Brookings, Oregon) and I find the fish are far more receptive to a 'red' fly than a 'black' fly. Just the reverse onthe upper Rogue. Main difference is you're out of road at 'river mile 15' on the Chetco, and you're out of river at RM 152 on the Rogue.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
& for Atlantics...

I would mirror Dana's comment's ... sea-fresh run Atlantics go for the brighter flies whatever water conditions, and although more 'resident' (staler) fish will take these bright flies, dumbing down the colours to black/red combos is more likely to be successful.

Mike

·
Registered
625 Posts
What Flies

Hi Guy's,
I once had a conversation with a fish biologist about the subject, thankfully we were fishing at the time, because he had spent two years studing such a thing for his degree in Norway.
Light refraction through water as Atlantic Salmon see it, i won't bore you with all the detail , but he went on to say that the higher you fish in the water table the brighter fly you should fish if the water is running clear, there of course a number of different factors even in this situ, water runs at different speed throughout its depth, water maybe slow on top faster in middle then even slower on the bottom, or any other combination, just sometimes we does'nt see it that way when we look at it.
He went on to tell me all about his study's , some very cool stuff about water speed table's ect, and how to read the water speed at different depths.
I have fished for sea-trout on the Spey in the darkest of nights (10pm til 3am) and caught most of my fish on a jet black fly, sub surface.
Gordon.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I found that is that case as well, the brighter days when the fish are spooky on gin clear water and a darker or earthy color fly works better, I found that on a river with lots of pressure from steelheaders with the average big intruder style flies I had luck with a smaller profile fly walking down the same run a few others went through with the big truders, I read an article in a fly fusion mag about paying attention to what other anglers are doing and if the majority is not having luck with standard steely fly most are using, sometimes less is more and it seems to have payed off so far

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do tend to fish darker flies on darker days, but more often I find myself fishing dark (real dark.... black.) flies at night/dusk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts